Author Topic: Interesting/Unusual Things That Happened To Me Today  (Read 438135 times)

mxy

Interesting/Unusual Things That Happened To Me Today
« on: February 22, 2006, 08:35:12 AM »
Here's a thread dedicated to those odd things that make life more interesting.  Add your own as and when they happen.
Here's mine for today - I work in a bank vault 3 floors below ground level, and yesterday afternoon, unknown to us, there was an armed robbery in the main part of the bank.  Two blokes held the place up and got away with 'a substantial amount of money' (local news report).
At going home time we had to leave the premises by the emergency fire exits and the whole street was cordoned off - that was the first we knew that anything had happened, and we were only told there had been an 'incident'.  It turns out no-one was hurt though.
Anything out of the ordinary happen to you today?  Share it here!

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
Wow that's pretty crazy. It's kind-of werid hearing about it, because I usually only hear about those things in news reports...

CatZilla

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:51:07 PM »
Holy shite!

As if working in an underground bank vault ain't weird enough... :shock:

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:39:45 PM »
Here's an incidence of incredibly idiocy for you:

In my haste to leave work (as I have to be up early tomorrow), I left both by paycheck and my health benefits paperwork in my lunch back in the break room refridgerator (which gets cleaned nightly).

Thankfully I'll be in the area to swing by tomorrow.  I'm hoping it's still there.

CatZilla

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
:?:  :?:  :?:

Wow. That was...stupid. Hope it's still there :/

But a few days ago I tried body-slamming a "pull" door open, even though it said "pull" right on the handle. And I tried pushing it open twice. Then I looked down and read the handle. That's even more stupid, but not as dangerous.

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 03:30:39 PM »
Quote from: "CatZilla"
:?:  :?:  :?:

Wow. That was...stupid. Hope it's still there :/

It was.   :D

But a few days ago I tried body-slamming a "pull" door open, even though it said "pull" right on the handle. And I tried pushing it open twice. Then I looked down and read the handle. That's even more stupid, but not as dangerous.

Good job!

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:13:58 PM »
Well, I decide to go out to lunch today and on my way, I walked past a large group of protesters They were protesting the Iraqi "war". It was interesting. Like 100 of them or something with music and signs. A bunch of hold-over hippies and college students. That was interesting...

CatZilla

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »
Quote from: "Speed"
Well, I decide to go out to lunch today and on my way, I walked past a large group of protesters They were protesting the Iraqi "war". It was interesting. Like 100 of them or something with music and signs. A bunch of hold-over hippies and college students. That was interesting...

What kind of music were they playing?

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »
Just modern rock music. Nothing special and nothing fantastic. It was kinds interesting, though....

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »
Quote from: "Speed"

Sounds good. Obviously there are a lot more people who feel the whole invasion is dodgy than is ever going to be represented in the media.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 06:31:28 PM »
last I heard Bush's approval rating here in the states was a big 33%. i know that here in Portland, OR .... over 90% of us are highly against the war in Iraq. Portland is by far one of the most interesting cities I've ever lived in. When the Kerry/Bush election thing was going on, over 85% of Portland (city) voted for Kerry. You should've seen it here in town the day after the election, everyone, and i mean everyone was fucking bummed. I honestly think the only people that approve of the war are a bunch of the fanatic/evangelical/christian swill of the mid-west and south. It's been shows here in the states that bigger cities tend to be more liberal.  Also I believe the education system here in the states is at fault, also I find that most Americans are grossly misinformed/gullible about news and whatnot .... almost anyone these days will believe anything you tell them.

Bah, I'm just gonna shut up ... I've been writing in 2 different forums about this same thing today ... wierd.
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
Quote from: "dead_red_eyes"
last I heard Bush's approval rating here in the states was a big 33%. i know that here in Portland, OR .... over 90% of us are highly against the war in Iraq. Portland is by far one of the most interesting cities I've ever lived in. When the Kerry/Bush election thing was going on, over 85% of Portland (city) voted for Kerry. You should've seen it here in town the day after the election, everyone, and i mean everyone was fucking bummed. I honestly think the only people that approve of the war are a bunch of the fanatic/evangelical/christian swill of the mid-west and south. It's been shows here in the states that bigger cities tend to be more liberal.  Also I believe the education system here in the states is at fault, also I find that most Americans are grossly misinformed/gullible about news and whatnot .... almost anyone these days will believe anything you tell them.

Bah, I'm just gonna shut up ... I've been writing in 2 different forums about this same thing today ... wierd.

Wow, Portland is about the exact opposite of what I've seen here.  I still see Bush's campaign stickers for the last presidential election everywhere.

Then again, when you consider two of the three locations for the George W. Bush Presidential Library are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (where I live), that isn't really surprising.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »
I was born and raised in Ft.Worth ... I honestly can't stand going back down there anymore ... for tons of reasons .. I'm sure you could guess a couple of them.
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 08:30:23 AM »
I was born and raised in Ft.Worth ... I honestly can't stand going back down there anymore ... for tons of reasons .. I'm sure you could guess a couple of them.

I can't blame you.  I've more or less hated this place with a passion since I moved here (I was born and raised in southern California).

CatZilla

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 04:45:24 PM »
Quote from: "Shawn"

I can't blame you.  I've more or less hated this place with a passion since I moved here (I was born and raised in southern California).

Why did you move? Not that southern Cali's known for being fantastic but..I dunno, I've never pictured Ft. Worth to be quite the hot spot either.