Author Topic: "sometimes" lyrics  (Read 7316 times)

pjg

"sometimes" lyrics
« on: February 05, 2006, 08:46:24 AM »
Forgive me if I missed a discussion on this elsewhere, but I was taking a close listen to Sometimes to work out the lyrics and chords to play in my band, and what I heard often sounded different than what I've seen posted for its lyrics.   Below is what I heard, and I am just curious if when you listen you hear the same lyrics...

[D] Close my eye
[F#m7] Feel me now
[Bm7] I don't know, will you
[G] could not love me now
[F#] You will know, that I feel
[E] tied to the ground
[D] Over there, and I
[E] learned through life to love
[D] You can hide,
[F#m7] opened eyed
[Bm7] or the way I dream.
[D]

[D] Turn my head
[F#m7] into sound
[Bm7] I don't know but I
[G] laid down on the ground
[F#] You will find your
[E] hand held hurts to love
[D] Never cared, and your
[E] world turned hearts to love
[D] You will sleep,
[F#m7] open eyed on the
[Bm7] way I dream
[D]

[D] You will wait
[F#m7] See me go
[Bm7] I don't care, I knew
[G] her type all along
[F#] You will wait, and I
[E] turn my eyes around
[D] Hold my head and I
[E] hold you next to me.
[D] Hold your hand
[F#m7] to my eyes on the
[Bm7] way I sleep.
[D]

[D] Close my eyes.
[F#m7] Feel me high
[Bm7] I don't know, but you
[G] could not love me now.
[F#] You and I, and I
[E] feel down too
[D] Over there, and I learned
[E] true love from you.
[D] You can hide,
[F#m7] opened eyed, or
[Bm7] the way I dream.
[D] You will sleep
[F#m7] opened eyed, on the way
[Bm7] I dream.
[D]-[F#m7]-[Bm7]-[G]-[F#]-[E]-[D]-[E]
[D]-[F#m7]-[Bm7]
[D]-[F#m7]-[Bm7]-[G]-[F#]-[E]-[D]-[E]
[D]-[F#m7]-[Bm7]
[D]

honeypower

• Glider
    • View Profile
"sometimes" lyrics
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 01:30:12 PM »
I spent an afternoon ages ago listening to the song at high volume, working out exactly what was being sung... Unfortunately it was on the old forum etc etc...  - plus, as others pointed out, arriving at some kind of definitive version is hardly the point.    Anyway, here's what I get from a recent listen! Rather different to yours, but I think probably a bit closer to the truth..

close my eyes
feel the now
I don't know
but you could not love me now

you alone
and I feel down to the ground
over there
and I learn to love to love

you can hide
oh go
oh the way I do

turn my head into sound
I don't know
but we'll lay down on the ground

you will find
with the head down oh so low
never care
when you're holding us above

you will see
oh down
on the way i'll do it

you aware
see me come
i don't care
when you're head down, all alone

you will wait
when I turn my eyes around
over there
and I'll hold you next to you

I'll get out
to
now
on the way I see you

close my eyes
feel the high
I don't know

you alone
and I feel down too
over there
and I learn to love to lose***

you can hide
oh go
on the way I'll do it

you can see
oh down
on the way I'll do it
interrupting my train of thought

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
"sometimes" lyrics
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
As I said on the old forum, determining the definitive lyrics of any MBV song after Isn't Anything would take away from the personal nature of the song.  Part of the charm of their music is that different people can interpret it different ways, and then have something they may interpret as being very personal as a result.

To have a absolutely correct set of lyrics for any song would just completely destroy that.

honeypower

• Glider
    • View Profile
"sometimes" lyrics
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 02:21:11 AM »
I agree, to an extent. I think you're being a little bit too strident and precious, though. Even if we arrived at a definitive set of lyrics, I don't think the power of the song would be affected at all. The ambiguity lies in the lyrics rather than the aural occlusion. You can't really say that your experience of To Here Knows When is diminished because you can hear exactly what's being sung.....   At the end of your road lie a billion dismal shoegaze bands with effects pedals and nothing but sighs and groans.
interrupting my train of thought

pjg

sometimes lyrics
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »
Quote from: "Shawn"
Part of the charm of their music is that different people can interpret it different ways, and then have something they may interpret as being very personal as a result.

To have a absolutely correct set of lyrics for any song would just completely destroy that.

Don't want to sound harsh but that's silly.   It doesn't have to destroy anything.    Knowing the lyrics can be just as important as not knowing them.    What's true for you may not be for others.  :wink:

That aside, I read an interview once with Kevin Shields where he discussed a condition he had that put him in some kind of sleep and dream state, even though he appeared wide awake to those around him.   Maybe I'm hearing things, but that's why I hear the words "opened eyed" and "the way I dream".

CatZilla

Re: sometimes lyrics
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 04:29:01 PM »
Quote from: "pjg"

That aside, I read an interview once with Kevin Shields where he discussed a condition he had that put him in some kind of sleep and dream state, even though he appeared wide awake to those around him.   Maybe I'm hearing things, but that's why I hear the words "opened eyed" and "the way I dream".

That happens to me a lot; especially when I'm in a boring class.

I think it's called daydreaming...

mxy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 01:54:35 PM »
Quote from: "pjg"
 Maybe I'm hearing things, but that's why I hear the words "opened eyed" and "the way I dream".

For me, the final 'the way I dream' sort of morphs into 'the way out of here', which gives it a slightly sinister edge to finish on.  
What a beautiful track though, I've been overdosing on it even more than usual recently.  Thanks Kevin, thanks MBV.

As far as misinterpreting lyrics goes, I wouldn't say it completely destroys a song to have a definite set of lyrics, but it's always a slight disappointment when you see a lyric sheet and realise that what you thought was being sung was nothing like what was actually being sung.  One of the millions of great things about MBV was that their lyrics were so nebulous that it didn't matter.

CatZilla

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 06:38:13 PM »
Quote from: "mxy"

One of the millions of great things about MBV was that their lyrics were so nebulous that it didn't matter.

Yeah, that's part of the escellentness of MBV. You could probably be partially deaf in both ears and have lousy speakers, and your guess would end up as good as anyone's, concerning MBV's lyrics...

I listened along to the song while reading Honeypower's interpretation, and it sounds very accurate...eccept for two parts which I just forgot and I don't want to listen that closely to the song again after doing it just now...

Which reminds me...the first time I heard "Just Like Honey" by JAMC it sounded like they said "honey drippin' behind" instead of "honey drippin' BEEHIVE".  I thought, "wtf, this can't be right..." and googled the lyrics. I was happy to see I misheard them; now I can listen to the song with peace of mind.

Luckily, stuff like that doesn't happen to me with MBV.

Cocteau Twins are another story. It's the damn scottish accent, I tell ya (yeah yeah, Liz doesn't actually say *real* words, but whatever...).

DarkSloth

• Ecstacy
  • Died in technicolor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
Quote from: "CatZilla"

Which reminds me...the first time I heard "Just Like Honey" by JAMC it sounded like they said "honey drippin' behind" instead of "honey drippin' BEEHIVE".  I thought, "wtf, this can't be right..." and googled the lyrics. I was happy to see I misheard them; now I can listen to the song with peace of mind.

Funny you should mention that. I heard that exact same thing too. Though one day i took a long hard look at myself, and realized it was beehive... you know, because thats where they made honey. Not only that one though, but instead of "I'll be your plastic toy" i kept on hearing "...plastic toilet." God, i have no idea why.  :cry:

recreant

"sometimes" lyrics
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 11:56:53 PM »
I consider this to be pretty accurate, I spent some time playing around with the different sounds to get better voice clarity.

close my eyes
feel me now
I don't know

you will know
that I feel down to the ground
over there
and I learn to love to know

you can hide
you'll go
oh the way I do

turn my head into the sound
I don't know
but I lay down on the ground

you will find
with the head down oh so low
never care
when you're holding us above

you will see
oh down
oh the way I do

you will wait
see me go
i don't care
when you're head down, all alone

you will wait
when I turn my eyes around
over there
and I'll hold you next to you

Overhead
to know
oh the way I see

close my eyes
feel me now
I don't know
but you could not hurt me now

here alone
and I feel down too
over there
where I gave true love to you

you can hide
you'll go
oh the way I do

you can see
oh down
oh the way I do

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
"sometimes" lyrics
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 02:23:08 AM »
I always thought it was "behind".... i'm all heartbroken now....
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"