Author Topic: m b v  (Read 2897 times)

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: m b v
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 02:46:03 AM »
an interesting podcast by Chris Ott on m b v and its sort of disappearance. (the first 6 minutes or so, the rest is about Ride)

tl; dl: the lack of accessibility (read: spotify) led to the album being forgotten fairly quickly.

Personally I think it's totally fucking weird how many people will NOT listen to an album because it's not on spotify. Even a huge band like Radiohead will have fans that haven't listened to In Rainbows in years because it wasn't on spotify until the last month or so. I find it disappointing how the digital revolution was supposed to open up everything, yet it seems like all it's really led to is a lack of choices (or 3 or 4 choices with 99.9% overlap screwing listeners over the remaining .1%), poptimism, and a fucking cassette revival.

Not entirely sure I agree with his thoughts on Ride. I generally get what he's going for in terms of railing against newer bands focused on a narrow aspect of shoegaze, but Ride only really transcended shoegaze by leaving it behind. Going Blank Again is a good album and could even be argued as their best... but it has little to do with shoegaze outside a few tracks.

cristian

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
I am happy the band kept m b v only available in their website and didn't f*cking care about digital streaming in other websites or massive popular status . This is part of their musical attitude and makes their music more special .
What a great record.

MouthOfTheDesert

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »
Not sure you could argue that it's been forgotten about simply owing to its unavailability on spotify and its ilk, the resurgence of vinyl and enthusiasm for hd digital files is growing in earnest, and if a band of that level of cult fandom chooses to go that way they easily can... although I get what he's saying, it seems obvious that m b v was a record that was always going to be preaching to the converted, and less a brave choice to release music that way, it was actually an extremely astute business move for the band to make.

MouthOfTheDesert

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 01:56:12 AM »
Not entirely sure I agree with his thoughts on Ride. I generally get what he's going for in terms of railing against newer bands focused on a narrow aspect of shoegaze, but Ride only really transcended shoegaze by leaving it behind. Going Blank Again is a good album and could even be argued as their best... but it has little to do with shoegaze outside a few tracks.

I think (maybe) that's what he was getting at, that they really don't deserve to be lumped in with it all and had other things going for them.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
Maybe not wholesale, but I can understand why they're lumped in even if it only is on the basis on Nowhere + the early EPs. Since he seems ambivalent towards anything after GBA, shoegaze or not, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
When was the last time anyone listened to m b v? I'm listening to it tonight. It's got shit loads better, it's fucking sounding phenomenal tonight.

I'm on a Creation era hiatus, trying to hold out until the remasters come out, so have gone the longest in probably seven years without listening to any of it. I think the distance has done wonders for this album for me.

I may have drunk wine and turned the volume up to 10.5.

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
A week ago. It's a great fucking album. I even started loving new you. Guess I just had to really turn up the volume for that track. Hoping for more happy sounding tunes on the new ep!

The only track I don't like was my initial favorite in 2013 - in another way. It sounds cheap now and not like my bloody valentine at all, and I know many members on this board agree. If not, come at me!

The first 3 tracks are beautiful, but it's from is this and yes and onwards it gets really interesting!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:59:16 PM by only swallow »

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
I still listen to it frequently. I've noticed it getting a bit more love after it seems like all the hype started dying off and the backlash began. My bet is that if it comes to spotify, it'll gain more appreciation from those who wrote it off.

bluecat

• Glider
    • View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »
i'd say half of it is good to genius, half of it I don't particularly care for.