Author Topic: m b v  (Read 2896 times)

cristian

• Loomer
    • View Profile
m b v
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
Now that it has been more than two years and you don't have the expectations about this album you had in 2013  . What is your impression about it?
I love all musical phases of the band and I'm an old Loveless addict (of those who firmly believed no other record could top that album) but now I found myself absolutely immersed in the world of M B V . This album is a grower. I always thought To here knows when and Soon were MBV at their creative peak, but I think some tracks on this album definitely equal or exceed those standards. Not to mention that the sound quality on this album is astounding.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: m b v
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:24 AM »
I still like it quite a bit. Maybe not quite as much as when it first came out, mostly due to She Found Now losing a bit of its appeal as being the first new MBV track and just sounding like a rehash of Sometimes. If it's not as good as Loveless, I still think the rest of the album is otherwise worthy of the rest of their discography.

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »
I listen to it regularly. My opinion on individual tracks has changed since release though. Love the flow of the album. Still think "who sees you" is one of their most beautiful songs but not a favorite anymore. I like "she found now" more than "sometimes." "new you" seriously needs a bigger sound. "in another way" and "only tomorrow" are okay by mbv standards. "if i am" and "wonder 2" are the standout songs for sure. "is this and yes" is good before sleep. "nothing is" is amazing, probably one of my most played songs on the album.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:22:30 AM by only swallow »

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
Don't listen to it much. It's ok. That's all. There were better albums released in 2013. There weren't better albums released the years ia and loveless were released. Considering loveless was released in 1991 that's an incredible feat.

Agreed "if i am" is beautiful. And "she found now" is too, and better than "sometimes" in (just) my opinion. "who sees you" and "only tomorrow" are solid (only tomorrow is monumental live). I still like "new you' and I still hate "in another way" with great passion and am indifferent to "is this and yes". "wonder 2" is intriguing. "nothing is" doesn't figure too much.

When I think about the tracks like this (as I've not for a while) they all have a presence. So my "it's ok" remark has changed from the start of this post to now. However, the thing just doesn't gel for me. I've no draw to put it on like the Creation era stuff. For ia and loveless, well, they are such complete bodies of work, so cohesive, so complete. I don't need to figure out and "analyse" my opinion or feelings on those like I have to with m b v; with ia and loveless it's natural and was upon first listen. m b v just doesn't have that same the same feel about it. But I never expected it, or almost never wanted it to be intrinsic like the others. I'm still happy it was (finished and) released. I'm still glad I have it can have and can continue to experience it. I think the music word is a better place for it.

I think I'll listen to it tomorrow actually. Ha ha!

cristian

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »
in this moment m b v is my first choice from their catalog. i feel more in tune with it's relaxed energy. loveless is a gem, but the overall experience is more intense and always puts me in a more anxious mood, which I love, but right now i feel more at ease with m b v, (still listening to loveless and their eps frequently anyway..).
on the first listen I also thought "she found now" was similar to "sometimes",perhaps because both were guitar-dominated tracks, but after the first impression I didn't see them as similar anymore. I think the guitar style is very different.
track 2 and 3 probably are not that far from their previous work, but I love the chord progression, the little details and the length which gives them a nice sense of freedom.  I like the "risk" they took with "is this & yes" (first full length ambient track..."touched" was much more timid) and with "nothing is" (I didn't like it at first but now I can't stop with it). "if I am" and "new you" are the beautiful tunes...and "in another way" -"wonder 2" the masterpieces.
this record, in my opinion, sounds better than all their previous. the vinyl pressing is absolutely wonderful...and the cd is the best example of a "non-loudness war cd". the sound is distant but it also envelopes you.
I love this record  :azn:

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
m b v
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »
It's interesting to read your opinions. Since release the opinions have differed quite a lot on the record as a whole and individual tracks. Would love to hear from more of you guys in here now that it has been out a few years. I find this record fascinating; the order of the songs, the experimentation. I think "who sees you", "if i am", and "wonder 2" can rival the rival the songs on Loveless, with the last two maybe even being a natural expansion of the sound on Loveless. Still nothing on m b v to evoke emotions in me like songs as "i only said" and "what you want". But it truly is something different. Oh, and "nothing is" really is too short and I don't find it controversial or annoying that they chose to put something like this on their new record. Same awesomeness as something like "glider."
Now bring us that ep!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:55:29 PM by only swallow »

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »
I hate it. It feels like an insult after waiting for so long. It's the songwriting. 'In Another Way' in particular. I waited 22 years for that? Kevin needs to quit fucking around with Akai samplers, get a decent drumkit set up and beg Colm and Bilinda to help him get inspired again. Must try harder.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:53:38 AM »
I feel like it will mean more to me depending on what comes next. I hope it was a stepping stone / a weight off his mind.

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
I've got it on now. "if i am" just took me on a journey. It's an extraordinary track, utterly sublime by anyone's standards. It is a very good album, although there are bits I really l dislike in it. For example, I'm dreading that "in another way" is coming up in a moment. I'm playing the vinyl so I'm stuck with it.

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »
The thing has definitely grown on me as a whole. Maybe we all need to wait 21 years before we fully grasp it. Ha ha! :wink:

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »
I feel "if i am" and "wonder 2" is up there with their very best stuff. I'll happily welcome more tracks this phenomenal! While I don't think "in another way" is horrible I still think it sounds a little awkward. Along with "new you" it was my initial fave upon release. Now I rarely play it. Still wish "new you" sounded like the live version. Some of these tunes definitely don't sound like something long in the making.

cristian

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »
 "in another way" is one of my favorites. I like the combination of the rhythm with the melody, it is rushed & even danceable but very nostalgic (almost aphex twin-like) . the guitar style is different from classic mbv and overall the song has a very futuristic quality . it sounds awesome on vinyl at full volume :police:. I think the lyrics talk about realizing that an old relationship would not work in the present and both people have to take different paths.

mminczes

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
"If I Am" is top tier mbv imo

Seems like Track 4 is uninteresting to a lot of people but I think it sounds utterly beautiful on a good system and on vinyl. very soothing

moonside

• Loomer
  • When You Sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
have to agree with the 'if i am' love on here. it stands up with some of their best work.

connect_icut

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Bubblegum Cage III
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
Yeah, I love "If I Am" too, although my favourite is "In Another Way", which (contrary to what a previous poster said) is a very interesting piece of songwriting (according to a mate of mine who knows about these things).

"She Found Now" is weak and the instrumentals are a bit throwaway but overall I still think it's great. Doesn't live up to the Creation-era stuff but what does? I like it easily as much as I like Ecstasy & Wine.