Author Topic: new Flying Saucer Attack!  (Read 1574 times)

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
new Flying Saucer Attack!
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
http://pitchfork.com/news/59592-flying-saucer-attack-return-with-instrumentals-2015-first-album-in-fifteen-years/

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsDaMVAdH4M" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsDaMVAdH4M</a>

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: new Flying Saucer Attack!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:14:08 AM »
did not expect this at all so am unreasonably excited....fsa in 2015!!!

wonder what happened to that in search of spaces reissue though.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »
definitely surprised. I figured FSA was destined to just sort of fade out into further obscurity. not sure about In Search of Spaces, but it looks like there's represses due of their other stuff.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
more:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sFE-Re1ZVwI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sFE-Re1ZVwI</a>

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »
is that confirmed re: the represses? have been trying (and failing) to dissuade myself from paying the ridiculous discogs prices.

this new stuff is pretty great, gets me questioning whether or not it's actually new? seems to align pretty heavily with what pearce said the abandoned lp land's end would be, ie solo guitar pieces and far more minimal than anything else in their catalogue. also can't envisage why pearce would just magically backflip after what, 15 years in total obscurity? to my knowledge he hasn't done anything whatsoever since the clear horizon lp, and the last I heard of him working on music was when he and bailiff dumped the follow up.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
Domino says represses soon

everything I've read indicates it's new recordings. I was under the impression that Land's End was more folkish rather than feedbacky. I'm more amazed at the publicity blitz of sorts. hopefully interviews follow.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »
in the last few weeks alone there have been features in the wire, fact and pitchfork on the bristol scene so hopefully it'll dredge up some interest in this stuff, really ripe for copying I would've thought.

anyway I really love this record, by a distance the most austere, minimal fsa record (really comparable only to the side on harmony of the spheres and the mort aux vaches contribution albeit with an entirely different energy), illuminates more strongly pearce's wildly varying mental state to a greater extent than any other record he's put out to date. really, really intensely beautiful stuff, this. proper rural psychedelia once again. hopefully this record will get the exposure to allow for him to understand just how astoundingly talented a musician he is.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 03:08:27 AM »
ah, I missed the Pitchfork article! had to wade through some bullshit to get to it.

yeah I'm hoping it all ignites a reinterest in the scene. way overlooked stuff that I wish other bands would touch upon. Clear Horizon was also better than I remember it being.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
in the last few weeks alone there have been features in the wire, fact and pitchfork on the bristol scene so hopefully it'll dredge up some interest in this stuff, really ripe for copying I would've thought.

anyway I really love this record, by a distance the most austere, minimal fsa record (really comparable only to the side on harmony of the spheres and the mort aux vaches contribution albeit with an entirely different energy), illuminates more strongly pearce's wildly varying mental state to a greater extent than any other record he's put out to date. really, really intensely beautiful stuff, this. proper rural psychedelia once again. hopefully this record will get the exposure to allow for him to understand just how astoundingly talented a musician he is.

I love fsa - dunno why I've sucked out of this - so this write up has me hyped.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:46:17 AM »
mmm the response to clear horizon was seemingly pretty muted which I don't really get as the songwriting on pearce's part is so strong, bailiff acts as a perfect foil for him where rachel brook was an merely ephemeral presence on those early fsa tracks (which was exactly what they demanded obviously). clear horizon gave him a real concrete structure to work with and he garnered the ability to have the songs themselves as amorphous rather than the further era approach to have them as discrete textural ideas moulded into songs. which makes no sense but I guess it's that the songs flow rather than dissolve, they develop really interestingly. as much as I love the bristol scene a lot of the song structures were only vehicles for textural expression, similar problem to that which plagued a lot of shoegaze groups but not nearly as glaringly due to the sheer singularity of what they were doing. pearce was by a considerable distance the best writer in the scene, and he's ostensibly still developing his skills on the new record when listening to how a lot veer off on these little tangents, his guitar playing seems very 'writerly'.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »
it came out during the peak of my FSA fanaticism and it was a bit of a letdown. I like Jessica, but she's sort of FSA-lite and it felt like she had a bit bigger of a say. I also felt like FSA usually transcended their 4-track recordings, but this felt a bit too lo-fi.

Overall I like it better than I did, though I still feel like it's something they would've made better on LP2.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:07:38 AM »

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »
Distance, Further, and Chorus being repressed

CD/Digital too. Not sure if it was remastered otherwise.

cristian

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
those reissues were already available in domino last year ,they seem to have gone unnoticed .
in dragcity.com you can find Instrumentals in cassette tape  , I bought one copy and I am really happy with it.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
does anyone know if these reissues are remastered at all?

another interview from last year:
http://bombmagazine.org/article/3581911/flying-saucer-attack

some confirmation that at least some material on the album is older.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:35:32 AM by Feed The Collapse »