Author Topic: ride reunion  (Read 1618 times)

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
ride reunion
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:49 AM »
apparently playing primavera 2015. from the street in barca:

feels like an appropriate time to ask: WHY

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: ride reunion
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:08 AM »

feels like an appropriate time to ask: WHY

none of the sweet, sweet Beady Eye money coming in.

Nowhere

• Loomer
  • Blue skied an' clear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »
So what. Shoegaze is alive and well! All the greats are currently active, touring and recording new music. Hopefully Ride will only play songs from 1989-1992, and then record a proper follow-up to GBA.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
and then record a proper follow-up to GBA.

where they completely ditch Shoegaze? Didn't that already happen?

I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing them live, but I don't really have hopes for another album to be at all close to their peak. Shoegaze is more active now, but I feel like it's in a rut where it's seen as more acceptable to sound exactly like the original wave; so another album by Ride or Slowdive just becomes another album that sounds like Ride or Slowdive. MBV at least had unfulfilled potential involved (along with disappearing while at their peak.)

the new Swervedriver slated for next year is a bit more interesting, mostly because I don't think their sound is quite as watered-down.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
ride reunion
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
Just nah coz ov dred lox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
I know white dreads are awful, but they don't have them anymore at least.

still better than being a member of Oasis/Beady Eye  :grin:

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:25 PM »

I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing them live, but I don't really have hopes for another album to be at all close to their peak. Shoegaze is more active now, but I feel like it's in a rut where it's seen as more acceptable to sound exactly like the original wave; so another album by Ride or Slowdive just becomes another album that sounds like Ride or Slowdive. MBV at least had unfulfilled potential involved (along with disappearing while at their peak.)

Bolded for emphasis.

It's incredibly profitable to be a '90s indie band right now because festival promoters are willing to pay six figure fees to have that kind of draw.  And, as you said, Andy Bell needs a paycheck.

That paycheck is really the only reason so many of these bands are reuniting now.  It will be interesting to see how festival bookings change in the next three to five years when the well of indie bands that were on 120 Minutes that would be willing to reunite finally runs dry.  Considering most of the early '00s garage bands are still operating in some capacity or have already hit the comeback trail (what up DFA1979?), does this mean that promoters will start booking all of those bands NME declared would "save rock 'n' roll" back in 1999?

connect_icut

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Bubblegum Cage III
ride reunion
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »
I honestly thought the guy in Swervedriver with the dreadlocks was black. In any case, at least he doesn't wear a fedora.

Nowhere

• Loomer
  • Blue skied an' clear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:38 AM »

where they completely ditch Shoegaze? Didn't that already happen?

Indeed it did. You can't really count that as Ride though. Not when a band takes such a drastic dive in quality over the course of one album.

So they can tour for awhile, make some money, and then get down to making another gargantuan shoegaze masterpiece in the same vein as their first two. Because nobody wants to see Ride performing anything from Tarantula or Carnival of Light, I would hope.

Shoegaze is more active now, but I feel like it's in a rut where it's seen as more acceptable to sound exactly like the original wave; so another album by Ride or Slowdive just becomes another album that sounds like Ride or Slowdive. MBV at least had unfulfilled potential involved (along with disappearing while at their peak.)

But there's more than a few shoegaze/nu-gaze bands out there doing their own take in the genre. No Joy, Nothing and the resurrected Medicine all spring readily to mind. And bands like Whirr and Ringo Deathstarr may not be on that level of intuition or creativity, but they're still doing the whole shoegaze thing very well regardless.

And then you have the Slowdives and the Rides of the genre. Do we really want bands like that to do anything other than what they do best? We lucked out with Pygmalion, but not so much with Carnivsl of Light or even the folksy stuff Asobi Seksu were doing on their last album. If these bands came back after 20 years and released an album that sounded like the way they sounded in their prime, I wouldn't be complaining at all.

But, that's just me.

the new Swervedriver slated for next year is a bit more interesting, mostly because I don't think their sound is quite as watered-down.

You could argue they were never shoegaze to begin with, but that's splitting hairs. They're another band that did what they did so excellently, I really don't want them to change their sound too much for fear of it sounding like another band altogether. Kind of the way Medicine is getting with what they're doing on Home Everywhere..

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:19:41 AM »
If these bands came back after 20 years and released an album that sounded like the way they sounded in their prime, I wouldn't be complaining at all.

While not really their fault, I think it's a matter of the new album would be virtually indistinguishable from a bevy of band that they've influenced, but also likely not up to par with their previous work. So with Ride you'd probably get a passable Going Blank Again* retread that is mostly forgotten after the initial hooplah. None of Neil's recent foray into Shoegaze-ish territory (new Alcest album, Black Hearted Brother) really inspire confidence in a new Slowdive.

I think this is why I like the new Medicine albums so much. Though their sound hasn't been quite as well-trod by other bands, I think them just going back firmly into Shot Forth/Buried Life territory would end up being fairly embarrassing; so instead they've updated and expanded their sound.

*as an aside, I think it's really odd how this is lumped into Shoegaze wholesale as it's definitely the start of them moving away from the genre.

Jason

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
I think Carnival of Light has some outright good songs, some good songs damaged a bit by poor decisions in the studio (the songs could be done justice live this time around), and only a few clunkers. Those who enjoy Ride as a band rather than a contributor to a genre would find it worthwhile, though frustrating. I'd like a few of the songs to make it into the set list but I don't expect that to happen.

*as an aside, I think it's really odd how this is lumped into Shoegaze wholesale as it's definitely the start of them moving away from the genre.

I agree although I'd take it even further and say that GBA is almost entirely past shoegaze. The way I see it the first few EPs were what happened when the band discovered late 80s indie, Nowhere and Today Forever were continuations of that, plus incorporating new indie. GBA happened when they discovered the 70s. The shoegaze association I think is clouded a bit by the lush sounds, which I think are mostly coincidental. Carnival of Light happened when they discovered the 60s. I think the influences from each period are pretty transparent.

And speaking of lumping, I'm tired of hearing about Ride are the "twin rhythm guitars" which apparently defined their sound, even though almost literally every song follows a lead and rhythm format, with many of them even having solos.  :rolleyes:

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »

I agree although I'd take it even further and say that GBA is almost entirely past shoegaze.

yeah, I just relistened to the album after not hearing it for a while. Aside from Leave Them All Behind, the Shoegaze sound is pretty much completely absent from almost every other track; it's also more keyboard heavy than I remember it being.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »
I honestly thought the guy in Swervedriver with the dreadlocks was black. In any case, at least he doesn't wear a fedora.

interchangeable with

in saying why I meant more, like, who gives a fuck about ride? forgetting the fact that I really don't care for their music at all, they're inextricably tethered to two musical movements between which they moved in accordance with trends, trends which are dead, redundant and just infuriating in 2014, much less when they were perceivably 'new'.

Jason

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
I don't really think it's accurate to say that Ride were trend hopping. They recorded Going Blank Again in the summer and fall of '91, so they'd already moved away from shoegaze once the shoegaze bandwagon had really gotten rolling. By spring of '93 they were playing their "britpop" material live, even including a cover of The Kids are Alright in lieu of some of their older material. This puts them on the same timeline as Modern Life is Rubbish, Oasis's demos, and the other early britpop. I think it'd be more accurate to say that Ride were in the thick of things, and were a part of the inevitable transition into britpop.

Although I have to agree about the fedora...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:09:10 PM by Jason »

Nowhere

• Loomer
  • Blue skied an' clear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »
While not really their fault, I think it's a matter of the new album would be virtually indistinguishable from a bevy of band that they've influenced, but also likely not up to par with their previous work. So with Ride you'd probably get a passable Going Blank Again* retread that is mostly forgotten after the initial hooplah. None of Neil's recent foray into Shoegaze-ish territory (new Alcest album, Black Hearted Brother) really inspire confidence in a new Slowdive.

I think this is why I like the new Medicine albums so much. Though their sound hasn't been quite as well-trod by other bands, I think them just going back firmly into Shot Forth/Buried Life territory would end up being fairly embarrassing; so instead they've updated and expanded their sound.

I have faith I'll be able to get down with new Medicine in time.

I had the Black Hearted Brother album the day it came out, listened to it once, and for some reason never went back to it. That was a year ago now, maybe more? Naturally, I can't remember a note of it. I guess it didn't move me much. I need to put it on again for a second look..