Author Topic: Spring 2013. Where's our EP? Where's our dodle1?!  (Read 28519 times)

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Spring 2013. Where's our EP? Where's our dodle1?!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
I agree. Song breaks my heart every time I listen to it

I def get a more 'up' vibe from this track.

Steinbeck // Kubrick // Shields
-------------------------------------

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2013. Where's our EP? Where's our dodle1?!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »
m b v was started in 97, and "2" from La La Human Steps came out in 99. Does that make the latter the newer piece of music?

Just a needless bump, as I was bumpin' m b v today.

Ghost World

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
m b v was started in 97, and "2" from La La Human Steps came out in 99. Does that make the latter the newer piece of music?

Just a needless bump, as I was bumpin' m b v today.

Not that a great deal of information is known about 2, but I thought it dated from 1995: http://www.lalalahumansteps.com/new/ I'd take a quotation from the site but it's quite annoying, but under 'works' and 'archives'. Makes me curious about other noise experiments he conducted in the '90s.

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
Not that a great deal of information is known about 2, but I thought it dated from 1995: http://www.lalalahumansteps.com/new/ I'd take a quotation from the site but it's quite annoying, but under 'works' and 'archives'. Makes me curious about other noise experiments he conducted in the '90s.

Thanks for that! I'm incredibly curious about unreleased works as well. 2 is as good as anything on loveless or m b v in my humble opinion.

Here's something different: do you guys think m b v is the beginning of a new era for the band or the natural conclusion to their story?

connect_icut

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Bubblegum Cage III
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

I think m b v is definitely a beginning rather than an ending. On m b v (and at the recent, less loud live shows) MBV sound more like a sustainable rock band and less like a wild sonic experiment. In a way, that's a let down but if it means we get more songs as good as "Only Tomorrow", I'll take it!

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
I think m b v is definitely a beginning rather than an ending. On m b v (and at the recent, less loud live shows) MBV sound more like a sustainable rock band and less like a wild sonic experiment. In a way, that's a let down but if it means we get more songs as good as "Only Tomorrow", I'll take it!

I find myself wanting more stuff in the vein of if i am and new you, the more relaxed material, but I'll absolutely love wild ideas again like wonder 2. If we can keep getting more songs as good as those on mbv, it's fantastic. Now, about that ep.....

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
I find myself wanting more stuff in the vein of if i am and new you, the more relaxed material, but I'll absolutely love wild ideas again like wonder 2. If we can keep getting more songs as good as those on mbv, it's fantastic. Now, about that ep.....

That's interesting! If I had to choose, I'd say 'if i am' is the most disposable of the nine m b v tracks. I still quite like it, but 'if i am's purpose is rendered ever so slightly redundant by its bookends, the retro-futurism of 'is this and yes' and the pop smarts of 'new you'. The former just by getting there first, and the latter in melodic ambition. To me, it's the one song that doesn't feel wholly unique contextually. A minor gripe, and something of a tangent!

In regards to a stripped down sound, that's interesting, and had m b v been wrapped up in the late 90's, it certainly could've been the case-- one only has to look at Kevin's Lost In Translation work to see a really stripped down, minimalist sound. That would be a MBV shocker... I'd be on board. I haven't been let down by KS, so wherever he wants to go, I'll follow.

I agree that m b v sounds like the beginning of something new. I'm dying to read an interview or to hear a song he's written in the past few years.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
If I Am is definitely one of the highlights of the album for me.

Am I alone in being somewhat irked at how much people talk up New You? I mean, it's good, but it feels so... obvious, for lack of a better description. It kind of screams "Obvious single", yet it isn't as good as other tracks on the album. It's kind of like "Just Like Honey": yes, it's a good track, but it's not really indicative of the rest of the album, nor is it even the best track.

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
If I Am is definitely one of the highlights of the album for me.

Am I alone in being somewhat irked at how much people talk up New You? I mean, it's good, but it feels so... obvious, for lack of a better description. It kind of screams "Obvious single", yet it isn't as good as other tracks on the album. It's kind of like "Just Like Honey": yes, it's a good track, but it's not really indicative of the rest of the album, nor is it even the best track.

I dare say you aren't alone in not loving 'new you', but I've got to take umbrage with you calling it obvious! It's certainly one of the more accessible songs on the record, but it's no more clear cut a single (so to speak) than only tomorrow or she found now or who sees you. In most ways, it's actually quite different sounding for MBV, and while superficially easy to listen to, initially confounding melodically/harmonically! 

Further, I'm not sure how you can qualify it being better or worse than the other songs on m b v. It's adventurous melodically and structurally. It's comparatively simple sounding, but not at a base harmonic level.

As to whether its indicative of the album, that's an interesting thought to mull over. Harmonically, to my mind, it's very indicative of m b v as a whole. Arrangement wise, perhaps not; It is comparatively simple. However, is wonder 2 indicative of the whole? Is she found now? Is if I am? Is this and yes? It's such a disparate record that no one song seems to characterize the entirety, production wise. In my opinion, the common denominator is harmonic adventurousness... and in that way, it's as representative as any other song (nothing is excepted!).

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:13:06 AM »

As to whether its indicative of the album, that's an interesting thought to mull over. Harmonically, to my mind, it's very indicative of m b v as a whole.

I was mostly venting about Just Like Honey on the "Not indicative" point. I kind of realised after I posted that it wasn't really a fair point for New You.

I still think it's very much an Obvious track. If it's not as simple as it appears to be on the surface, I just don't think it's nearly as interesting as almost all the other tracks, yet people glom to it because of that apparent simplicity.

only swallow

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

I was mostly venting about Just Like Honey on the "Not indicative" point. I kind of realised after I posted that it wasn't really a fair point for New You.

I still think it's very much an Obvious track. If it's not as simple as it appears to be on the surface, I just don't think it's nearly as interesting as almost all the other tracks, yet people glom to it because of that apparent simplicity.

new you could have been better. I wish it sounded more simular to the current live version with the hammering guitar being in front. I still love it very very much, but I don't find it all that adventurous compared to some of the other tracks here. Well it was Kevin's favorite from the new album, or perhaps he just kept the cards close to his chest when asked about standout tracks back in November. This album really do free them up. People won't expect a new album on the level of Loveless now, which I did with mbv. The tracks are so different from each other that it's impossible to expect what a completely new My bloody valentine track would sound like.

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
I think 'new you' might appeal to Kevin on a compositional level. Next to 'who sees you', it has the most melody of any song on MBV. And where 'who sees you' slowly unfurls (and plays around with its initial ideas), 'new you' navigates three distinct parts and ends in three part harmony, with lots of counterpoint.

I was going to say it was isn't my favorite, but weirdly, it's the song I've listened to the most on m b v.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
Kevin referred to new you as a 'pop song' at some point I believe - I love it - that synth needs turning right down though.

If I am has that brilliant ascending 'sort of' chorus line that never gets to where its going, I love it for that, and the drum sound, best drums on the album!

Steinbeck // Kubrick // Shields
-------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:40:18 PM by loveably tiny demon »

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
It IS a great track. I'd just cut it if I had to make the choice.  :police:

You know, in many ways, I prefer m b v to MBV's other albums at this point. It's a journey in a way the other records aren't. Conceptually, it's a free fall into that oft promised weirdness from the band... I've heard a few artists threaten to make this very record, and none have followed through. loveless kinda has its thesis statement in the very first track, and Isn't Anything (insanely) sounds like a conventional rock record by comparison. Both are brilliant, but I'm very, very ready to celebrate m b v's induction into the hall of fame.

Nowhere

• Loomer
  • Blue skied an' clear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
Still listening to 'm b v' and still loving every minute of it.

I'm just glad we have it, tbh