Author Topic: "m b v" Tabs/Chords  (Read 13668 times)

MeccaGodzilla

• Geek
    • View Profile
"m b v" Tabs/Chords
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Feel free to post tabs/chords/guitar effect advise/anything that would help people perform the songs from "m b v". I guess I'll start it out with "New You", so here ya'll go...

"New You"

Instrumental Part:
e     5     5     2     2     7     7
B     5     5     2     2     7     7
G     7     6     4     3     9     8   repeat as necessary
D     7     7     4     4     9     9
A     7     7     4     4     9     9
E     5     5     2     2     7     7

Verse:
e     0     10     9             9     0      9      5     5
B     7     12     7     7      7     7      9      5     5
G     6     11     9     7      9     5     11     7     6   repeat once
D     7     12     9     9      9     7     11     7     7
A     5     10     9    10     9     5     11     7     7
E                     7             7             9      5     5

"Long Middle Eight":
e     7     9     10     0             5     5     5     2     5     2     10     10     5
B     7     9     12     7             5     5     5     4     5     4     13     12     7
G     7     9     11     6   stop   7     6     2     2     2     2     11     11     6
D     9    11    12     7             7     7     4     4     4     4     12     12     7
A     9    11    10     5             7     7     4     2     0     2     12     10     5
E     7     9                             5     5     2                          10

And there you have it! As far as I know, I'm the first one to ever post tabs for the new album! :azn: Woo! This seems pretty accurate to my ears, but feel free to suggest corrections. I know some of these chords are near-impossible to reach, but if you leave out the octave notes on the D string they become pretty manageable. And as for effects, this one is kinda straightforward. Just set a tremolo pedal to the right speed, and turn its intensity up to where it silences most of the signal.

Also, I think Kevin left most of the songs on the album in standard tuning, to accommodate all of the key changes in them.

I also have all of or most of "She Found Now", "Only Tomorrow", "If I Am", "In Another Way", and "Nothing Is" (this one's pretty straightforward). Just give me some time to perfect them and put them up, or feel free to post them yourself.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: "m b v" Tabs/Chords
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
Dem suspended fourths.

MeccaGodzilla

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
Yep, probably half of the chords in the song are suspended fourths. And from what I've deduced thus far, they're littered all over the album.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Highly reminiscent of Pinball Wizard.

Feedbacker

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
He probably using a lovetone meatball on 'if i am' or possibly all the filter sounds. Some of the tremolo effects sound like a vox repeater and a lot of the fuzz reminds me of a zvex fuzz factory. I remember reading an interview where he said he bought a lot of old tweed fender amps and was trying to make the sustain sync up with the drums or something to that effect. Not sure if that idea made it on m b v or not.

On one of the youtube videos of new you from brixton you could kind of see Kevin's hands and to me it looked like he was playing some open chords around the 2nd or 3rd fret where you have it tabbed at the 7th fret. I thought I had ripped that one before it was taken down but apparently I ripped the first video twice.

As far as tuning goes, the video I have is dark but it looks like he is playing a dark blue jazzmaster that, based on my notes from the 2008-2009 shows, wasn't used in the 2008-2009 shows and all the other songs seem to still be using the same guitars. He already has 2 jazzmasters and 1 jaguar in standard tuning so I'm not sure why he would have a 3rd jazzmaster in standard. But I could be wrong.

I have a cold right now so I can't be much help as far as figuring out the songs by ear.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
You should publish these notes that you've written at shows. I'd be really interested.

MeccaGodzilla

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering about all of those barre chords, they seem very unlike Kevin's style. I was going by the recorded version of the song, and I could hear the high notes that can (most likely) only come from a barre chord. That D7 chord towards the end of the middle eight section seems EXTREMELY unlike him, but I can hear the 10th-fret D note on the high E string, so it seemed like the most plausible chord shape.

But honestly, who knows with MBV? Maybe he just uses an alternate tuning live for ease's sake, since some of those chords are difficult to switch to quickly (though I'm sure he's capable of that).

mirbeau

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
BUMP as this is a worthy thread. And I want to nudge you into doing 'if i am' next. Thanks for the chords, love the way this one sounds with a trem and trem.
e     0   
B     7     
G     6   
D     7     
A     5     
E                   

FeedMeKisses

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »
I would also like to nudge you Mr Mecca.  I'm a very mediocre key stage 3 guitarman (as the kids call it) but I do enjoy trying to make sounds anything remotely like MBV.   :afro:
"Life may be sad, but it's always beautiful." - Pierrot le Fou

BoredByTheSea

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
I know some of these chords are near-impossible to reach, but if you leave out the octave notes on the D string they become pretty manageable.

Also, I think Kevin left most of the songs on the album in standard tuning, to accommodate all of the key changes in them.

I wouldn't be so sure. I actually think that the tunings are not standard, as doing those chords progressions might be difficult while singing/taking care of the effects/using the trem bar.

MeccaGodzilla

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure. I actually think that the tunings are not standard, as doing those chords progressions might be difficult while singing/taking care of the effects/using the trem bar.

Fair enough, I'm also very doubtful about the standard tuning. But then again, Kevin doesn't sing this song, and Bilinda doesn't play at all on it. Also, I would have no clue where to start if it wasn't in standard tuning. How people figure those alternate ones out is beyond me.

Also, to mirbeau, I agree. Getting a nice tremolo bend on that first chord after the silence of the drum break is so rewarding! And yeah, I'm currently fascinated by "If I Am", and I've got quite a bit of it figured out, but I've hit some chords that have me completely stuck. I'll work on it though, don't fret :azn: The next one I'll put up is probably "Only Tomorrow", as soon as I figure out what's going on underneath that solo...

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
Fair enough, I'm also very doubtful about the standard tuning. But then again, Kevin doesn't sing this song, and Bilinda doesn't play at all on it. Also, I would have no clue where to start if it wasn't in standard tuning. How people figure those alternate ones out is beyond me.

Also, to mirbeau, I agree. Getting a nice tremolo bend on that first chord after the silence of the drum break is so rewarding! And yeah, I'm currently fascinated by "If I Am", and I've got quite a bit of it figured out, but I've hit some chords that have me completely stuck. I'll work on it though, don't fret :azn: The next one I'll put up is probably "Only Tomorrow", as soon as I figure out what's going on underneath that solo...

A haphazard guess at the solo bit: first, Gmaj7 to C#sus for the ascending wooooooo, then-- A, G#m, D, F#sus, Bsus, D, A, Bm, Gmaj7, C#sus then the solo continues over the verse chords. A lot of those sus chords resolve to major. There's one bit where he goes minor, to sus, to major but I can't remember off hand.

Oh, and I don't have perfect pitch so I'm not even sure what my guitar is tuned to. So adjust to the necessary key.

Feedbacker

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
You should publish these notes that you've written at shows. I'd be really interested.

this is most of what i have about Kevin's guitars. most of this came from watching youtube videos and google images. I only wrote down a tuning if i was almost positive that it was correct. Philippe Dubreuille made some guitars for them but other than the purple jaguar, bilinda's mustangs, and debbies blue bass from the 2013 shows i'm not sure what else he built. if anyone has anything to add i'd appreciate it. especially with the tunings.

Only Shallow - Custom Purple Jaguar: Tort pickguard, Matching headstock, Jazzmaster scale, Standard tuning, Built by Philippe Dubreuille
Feed Me With Your Kiss - White Jazzmaster, Gold pickguard, Standard tuning
You Made Me Realise - Same as FMWYK
I Only Said - Candy apple red Jazzmaster, Brown tort guard
Slow - J Mascis Jazzmaster, Standard Capo 10th fret
Soon - 1965 Jaguar, F#F#F#F#C#F#
Thorn - Daphne Blue Jaguar: Tort Guard, Capo 2nd fret
To Here Knows When - Sonic Blue Jaguar, Matching Headstock, EBEEBE capo 3rd fret
When You Sleep - Fiesta Red Jazzmaster: Gold pickguard, Standard tuning
Come in Alone - Blue Jaguar
Sometimes - Black Acoustic, DADF#AD or maybe DADAAD
Cigarette in your Bed - Acoustic, Natural
Blow A Wish - Jaguar, White pickguard
Sueisfine - ?
Honey Power - Same as FMWYK/YMMR
You Never Should - Only Shallow Jaguar
(When You Wake) You’re Still in a Dream - Lake Placid Blue Jaguar, White pickguard
Nothing Much to Lose - Ocean Turquoise Jazzmaster Matching Headstock, Tort pickguard
Lose My Breath - Acoustic: Natural

MeccaGodzilla

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Here's my go at "Only Tomorrow". This is for the fuzzy guitar, not the janglier one (that one would most likely have the tops of most of these chords, which have been taken out to ensure clarity in the fuzz). Again, not too sure they would use such conventional tunings and chord shapes, but it sounds pretty close to me. Also, feel free to point out any mistakes.

I'm assuming that everyone knows which chords need to be held for longer and shorter than usual, so I won't bother typing that out.

"Only Tomorrow"

Verse:
e
B            2                          3     2     5     1
G     4     4     2     2     1     2     2     5     2
D     5     2     3     2     2     2     2     5     2
A     5     2     3     2     2     0     0     3     0
E     3     0     1     0     0

Instrumental Chord-Fest:
e     6                   M                                 5     5     3     3                   Play          6
B     8     3     2     A                                 8     7     6     3               everything    3
G     7     2     2     R     2     2     1     3     5     5     5     4     3     2      from        3
D     8     2     2     K     3     2     2     3     7     7     5     5     3     3   MARKER      5
A     6     0     0     E     3     2     2     1     5     5     5     5     1     3    onward      5
E                          R     1     0     0                          3     3            1      again       3

Solo Section:
e                                             6   
B     Repeat the entire            8     3     2   Then repeat the
G "Instrumental Chord-Fest"  7     2     2     Verse section
D            section                     8      2     2   for as long as
A                                             6     0     0      you see fit
E

Solo:
e     
B
G   
D    7        2       4   5  5  5 4 2  0  0  0 2                                                                 
A                                                            2          3     
E                                                                                 3      5   6/5  6/5  6/5/3  1  3  5       6  6  6 5 3   10 10 10 8 6   12 12 12 10 9

e
B
G                                                                                                                                                Just make sure to bend the
D   12        7       9   10 10 10 9 7   5  5  5 7 2         7                                                                  tremolo bar on the long notes
A                                                                                     7     9  10 10 10 9 7   5 5 5 7 2            in time to the beat and you're
E                                                                                                                                                  all set!  :wink:

Effects: The fuzz on this song sounds A LOT like a Zvex Fuzz Factory to me. I've never tried one though (was interested in getting one back in my Wilco days, but those came and went), so I'm no expert. Also, the solo should be played on some sort of punchy guitar with a little bit of gain sprinkled on top.

And there you have it! That took forever to type out... What did you think of my innovative MARKER technique? :grin: That helps me organize an otherwise really convoluted chord progression, but I understand if it doesn't help other people. We all think differently after all! I'll change it if you guys want me to.

Also, how are my tabs? Should i keep doing this the way I am, or are they horrible? (I'm particularly concerned about the chord voicings I've been coming up with. They're so conventional...   not at all like MBV) I've never made tabs before, so this is completely alien to me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:43:49 PM by MeccaGodzilla »

TrickleDown

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
MeccaGodzilla, I like it. I have one question though, in the verse, it starts G, then E... but the bass definitely climbs to F# right before the F-- do you think thats reflected in the guitar figure at all? I keep hearing it but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it.