Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 77512 times)

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
reading "Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD" by Martin Aston

it's pretty good so far. As near as I can tell, it only covers the years the label was headed by Ivo Watts-Russel and it gives a nice break down of each year's releases and drama.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
Japrocksampler by Julian Cope

pretty interesting, though I wish he would've covered a bit more beyond the mid-70s

Martin

• Touched
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »
Just finished Jpod by Doug Coupland, it was pretty infuriating for the most part but so was Microserfs so maybe that's not too surprising. Do I actually even like Coupland? I imagine he was making some kind of point I'm just not sure I enjoyed being there whilst he was making it.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2014, 05:16:45 AM »
"Energy Flash" by Simon Reynolds

I'm not really that interested in rave music and some of its genre, but I like the author and it's otherwise rather interesting. I was a bit annoyed with his slagging off of FSOL, but then I realised ISDN is the only album I really listen to by them anymore and they <I>did turn into Psych/Prog pomp with The Isness.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
What are you reading?
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
Reading the 33 1/3 book on spiderland. Never knew about the roots of slint - very interesting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2014, 05:21:27 AM »
"Totally Wired" by Simon Reynolds

a pretty good companion to Rip It Up, but not really that essential. His interview in the end comes off like he's talking to himself, but I got the impression that the edited version of Rip It Up was the intended version of the book while the UK version was more of a draft.

I bought a bunch of his ebooks from Amazon for my birthday. The Kindle version of Blissed out contains some extra material including a bit about MBV's reunion in 2008.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2014, 05:53:24 AM »
I've only made it about 2 pages into the 33 1/3 entry for NIN's Pretty Hate Machine and I'm already regretting it. I've never quite been that keen on the album and it gets cheesier with age, but for some reason the focus is Columbine and is apparently setting itself up to be a magnum opus for loner nerds everywhere, which makes it even more cringeworthy. Ugh. Also there's like 5 citations on like the first page alone, which is going to be tedious if anything worthwhile is cited as my Kindle doesn't always bring me back to my previous page when I click the citations.

otherwise, within the past week I've read the entries for Eno's Another Green World (Eh, short on album details), Ween's Chocolate & Cheese (good; more what I was looking for in the Eno one), and Slint's Spiderland (ditto).

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2014, 03:20:22 AM »
rereading the Hannibal books because I like the show.

Red Dragon is good, but maybe in light of watching the show, it feels like there's a lot of characters that are written like they were meant to be fleshed out for spin offs, but are otherwise background characters. (Pretty much all the minor characters in the show get mentioned in the book including Beverly Katz and Jimmy Price. Dr. Bloom makes an appearance, but he doesn't really add up to anything) Even Hannibal himself is largely pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Silence of the Lambs is better in that regard, though it felt like Starling found Buffalo Bill through dumb luck. I recall Hannibal the Movie being pretty different from Hannibal the book, but I think I'll skip that for now.

it's been a while since I've seen either movie, but I think the movies trimmed the fat off the stories and made them  a bit more compelling (though Red Dragon the movie was faithful to a fault, among other problems)

Martin

• Touched
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 13, 2014, 08:23:38 AM »
Was reading and then rereading Can't Stop, Won't Stop by Jeff Chang until I it on the train or somewhere, anyway I can't find it. Pretty h solid Hip Hop history lesson though it is much more about the capital H History than the music for the most part. It's as much about racism and class politics as it is music and it puts the two together convincingly to show how we got to where we are today or I guess were in 2005 or whenever it was published. Probably focusses on Public Enemy a bit too much and is unapologetically leftist from the start which is no bad thing but maybe leaves it a bit too open to critisism of political bias. Turned me on to a lot of the stuff I used to think sounded too "old" (Eric B & Rakim etc), took forever to read but worth it, I would recommend it to anyone that stood still long enough. Oh and the gangs and graffitti stuff is fascinating too, fuck you Ed Koch! Currently reading Psychotic Reactions by Lester Bangs, can't figured out why he's got such a big one for Question Mark and the Mysterians, did make me genuinely consider giving Astral Weeks a go though.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 11, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
found an epub of that Spacemen 3 biography

a bit pretentious in parts, but overall pretty interesting. Goes into a bit more detail about the band and their break up. Sounds like their dissolution was fairly early in the making.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Creation Stories by Alan McGee

Alan's autobiography. He doesn't come off as big of an asshole as I thought he was; I guess sobriety did his some favors. Interesting to see that he thought highly of m b v. Somewhat disappointed that he glosses over Slowdive and Swervedriver a bit as he also says he liked Pygmalion after a recent listen despite famously not liking it when it was released. From the sound of it, he was recovering from drug use at the time and was pretty out of it while also dealing with Sony (who probably had their hand at getting Slowdive and Swervedriver dropped)

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
Future Days by David Stubbs

I liked that it filled in a bit more of how Krautrock came about, though I was hoping a little more detail would be filled in on some of the smaller bands; think: Our Band Could Be Your Life... but for Krautrock. I also found it interesting that for all the dismissing of progrock, Krautrock had quite a bit in common with that genre's origin in terms of reacting against what was seen as overwhelmingly American influence; though Krautrock's continued influence (especially post punk) seems to come from a less haughty outlook on what it is reacting against, along with an affinity for picking up concurrent trends (I.e. funk, reggae, Davis' electric era, etc.)