Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 76947 times)

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »
well I was reading "Dubliners" by James Joyce, but I broke up with the girl who owns it and she's looking it back  >:(
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

Sugar_Hiccup

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 05:19:49 AM »
Simple - rip out the pages you haven't read and tell her she can have them back when you've finished.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 05:59:15 AM »
that's simple, but effective - very Black Books!
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

Scribbler

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
Just finished "Smoke And Mirrors", a collection of short stories and poems from my favorite author, Neil Gaiman.  Worthwhile if only for "Snow, Glass, Apples" a horrific retelling of Snow White.  You can find said story here assuming you have time to read 5,000 words. ;)

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
Just finished "Smoke And Mirrors", a collection of short stories and poems from my favorite author, Neil Gaiman.  Worthwhile if only for "Snow, Glass, Apples" a horrific retelling of Snow White.  You can find said story here assuming you have time to read 5,000 words. ;)

I got quite a kick out of his collaboration with Terry Pratchet on Good Omens (the only thing of his I've read besides a few pages of The Sandman).  I'll have to check this out when I get the time.

On an unrelated note, I'm still trying to finish Only Revolutions.

Scribbler

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
"Good Omens" was a fun read, but far from Gaiman's best work.  Hitchhiker's fans would adore it.  "The Sandman" is pretty much his masterpiece as it stands right now (can't tell you how many times I've reread that series).  Also good are "Stardust", perhaps my favorite fantasy novel, and "American Gods", a dark, Stephen-Kingish novel about mythological figures in modern, American settings.  Top stuff. 

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 02:57:56 PM »
"Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami.

I'm enjoying this a lot. It's very different from the film (as far as i can remember anyway.)

I still haven't given "Dubliners" back either ;)

CatZilla

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »
I'm reading 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo at the moment.

It's starting to really pick up; I'm at the part where Fantine is near dead after having sold her hair, her front teeth, and postituted herself just so she could support her illegitimate child (who's actually being treated as a servant by the innkeepers she left her with).

Quite the picker-upper.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
"Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami.

I'm enjoying this a lot. It's very different from the film (as far as i can remember anyway.

It is different, and there's many volumes ... but they're a great read tho.

I'm currently reading one of my favorite books of all time, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick.
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »

I'm currently reading one of my favorite books of all time, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick.

Fantastic novel and writer.  I read that book three months ago or somewhere in that time frame.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »
Shawn if you dig Philip K. Dick I HIGHLY suggest that you check out his (sort-of) protege .. Jonathan Lethem. Jonathan is an amazing fucking writer, and luckily his stuff has been receiving more and more press these days ... he really deserves it. You should read his first 2 books, "Gun with Occasional Music" and "Amnesia Moon" ... both will blow you away. He truly gets down to the "nitty gritty" and doesn't deal with all the fluffy filler bullshit. Philip would've no doubt loved Jonathans writing, he was very inspired by Philip.
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »
Shawn if you dig Philip K. Dick I HIGHLY suggest that you check out his (sort-of) protege .. Jonathan Lethem. Jonathan is an amazing fucking writer, and luckily his stuff has been receiving more and more press these days ... he really deserves it. You should read his first 2 books, "Gun with Occasional Music" and "Amnesia Moon" ... both will blow you away. He truly gets down to the "nitty gritty" and doesn't deal with all the fluffy filler bullshit. Philip would've no doubt loved Jonathans writing, he was very inspired by Philip.

I shall definitely have to check his work out.  I've been looking for some new books to read.

Similarly, if you haven't read any works of his already, William Gibson is a fantastic writer of the same vein.  Neuromancer, the originator of the cyberpunk genre, is a masterpiece.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »
Yeah mang, Neuromancer is a great book!

I own all of Lethems books, never before have I been so completely hooked on someones writing where I had to buy everything they wrote. I love it all, that man is a fucking genius. The thing I llove about Lethem and Dick, is that they both could write in a sci-fi context, without writing pages about all the technical boring bullshit.
audiowhore

jonman

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 11:33:22 PM »
one flew over the cuckoos nest.  pretty interesting.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
one flew over the cuckoos nest.  pretty interesting.

great book!
audiowhore