Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 76945 times)

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
What are you reading?
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:42:45 PM »
Ok, so we know what movies we've seen and what we're listening to, but what about what you're reading.

At the moment I'm in the middle of reading Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman, which is ostensibly about a writer that travels the US to visit various places where various rock musicians died (such as the Alabama swamp where Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crashed to the Rhode Island nightclub where a pyrotechnics accident burned the club to the ground and killed over 80 people).  It's a pretty interesting book; Klosterman tends to spend more time riffing about American pop culture, relationships, and rock music than actually meditating about those who died at the places he's visited (he spends less than three pages on The Allman Brothers when he visits the intersection two of them were killed at).  Amongst other things he discusses are how Kid A was a perfect score for September 11th, why he hates Los Angeles, and Christian made-for-TV movies on local access channels. 

Definitely worth checking out.

I'm also slowly working my way through Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions.  From what I've read (which is about half of it), it's a beautifully written book with a rather interesting plot premise.  Imagine Romeo and Juliet taking the Delorean from Back To The Future and going on a road trip not unlike Jack Kerouac's in On The Road and you have the general idea.  It's a very slow read for a few reasons; the book is split between two first person narratives (with the recommended way to read the book being to switch between narratives every eight pages), both characters adopt the slang from whatever time period their in at the time (right now one character is in the middle of World War Two and the other is in the early 1980s), and the entire book is written in free verse.  As daunting as it sounds (did I mention the book is over 700 pages long?), once you get into the rhythm of the novel it is pretty easy to read.  It's just not a book you can sit and read for hours at a time though.

A great read if you're into that type of literature.

So what have you read?

DarkSloth

• Ecstacy
  • Died in technicolor
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »
Whoa. That Only Revolutions book sounds insane. And cool on being able to read two books at once. I always felt a little weird about that.

Currently i'm not reading anything. This school discriminates against good book learning and doesn't give me enough quiet time to read much. But, one book that i did read that was really interesting was Slow River by Nicola Griffith. It was set in this slight science fiction future... but it wasn't really a science fiction book. It just had some slightly futuristic technology. It was of this girl that get kidnapped and finds herself in a ditch. She meets up with this chick, Spanner, and they go about living life. They become lovers and all that. To make money they bring friends over and then drug them with this sex drug. They go into a huge orgy and they film it. They digitally replace all the heads and sell the videos. The cool thing about the book is that its told in 3 different time periods alternatly. It goes from her being a small girl like age 10, to when she met the woman Spanner, to when she was on her own. Its probably one of my favorite books along with 1984.

And of course like any righteous human being, i've read the Hitchhikers Trilogy.  ;) Right now i'm interested in reading Legacy of the Force: bloodlines. Some awesome star wars boba fett action.

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
Whoa. That Only Revolutions book sounds insane. And cool on being able to read two books at once. I always felt a little weird about that.

Yeah, I needed a break from Only Revolutions.  *laughs*

Currently i'm not reading anything. This school discriminates against good book learning and doesn't give me enough quiet time to read much. But, one book that i did read that was really interesting was Slow River by Nicola Griffith. It was set in this slight science fiction future... but it wasn't really a science fiction book. It just had some slightly futuristic technology. It was of this girl that get kidnapped and finds herself in a ditch. She meets up with this chick, Spanner, and they go about living life. They become lovers and all that. To make money they bring friends over and then drug them with this sex drug. They go into a huge orgy and they film it. They digitally replace all the heads and sell the videos. The cool thing about the book is that its told in 3 different time periods alternatly. It goes from her being a small girl like age 10, to when she met the woman Spanner, to when she was on her own. Its probably one of my favorite books along with 1984.

And of course like any righteous human being, i've read the Hitchhikers Trilogy.  ;) Right now i'm interested in reading Legacy of the Force: bloodlines. Some awesome star wars boba fett action.

Sounds interesting!  I'll have to check that out some time.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:17:00 AM »
The last book I was reading was "I capture the castle" by Dodie Smith, but I couldn't really get into it, so I stopped. Now I'm reading "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut - He's probably my favourite author alongside Haruki Murakami
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

CatZilla

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
ahjhagh I love this kind of topic.

I just finished reading "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. Pretty good; shame he never got around to fully completing it...even though he wasn't the kind of author who ever "fully completed" anything.  For some odd reason I envisioned it like a movie; I know there's been a few movies based on the book, but I've never seen any. They'd probably ruin it for me, like most book-based movies.

mxy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »
Now I'm reading "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut -
Oooh aye, that's one of my favourites - I love Kurt Vonnegut.

Currently ploughing my way through - 'Saucerfol Of Secrets, the Pink Floyd Story' by Nicholas Schaffner.  I've been re-reading all my Syd Barrett stuff since he passed on.  That Roger Waters was a bit of a bastard, I can tell you.

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:24:03 AM »
Oooh aye, that's one of my favourites - I love Kurt Vonnegut.

Currently ploughing my way through - 'Saucerfol Of Secrets, the Pink Floyd Story' by Nicholas Schaffner.  I've been re-reading all my Syd Barrett stuff since he passed on.  That Roger Waters was a bit of a bastard, I can tell you.

That's funny, cos every time you see him he's either talking about Syd Barrett or playing a gig with a huge backdrop of Syd Barrett - even at Live 8! What did he do anyway?

I've started reading 'American Psycho' (though I've already skimmed through the Phil Collins/Whitney Houston parts which was the only reason I wanted to read it in the first place)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:37:17 AM by auteau »

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
maybe he felt very guilty for doing something bad?

I read Brett Easton Ellis' "Rules of attraction" over the summer - I really enjoyed it, although I felt that the end was a little bit too incongruous with the rest of the book. It kinda went on a tangent for me.
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

mxy

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »
He was just generally a control freak, not just toward Syd, but the band's early management and, later, the rest of PF.  When Syd started going off the rails and showing signs of mental illness his response was to draw up a list of reasons why he should be kicked out of the band - one of which was that he was always pinching cigarettes off the rest of the band and not buying his own.
Unpleasant-looking bastard, too.
It's a pretty interesting book though - I've always liked the Pink Floyd faceless mystique.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
"Amnesia Moon" by Jonathan Lethem

Jonathan is our generations Philip K. Dick. He's a seriously fucking talented writer who doesn't ever bore you with shit that you don't need to know. He's got a great sense of humour and comes up with some seriously witty metaphors. I've never felt compelled to buy the complete works by someone, and Jonathan is the only author who comepletely ownz me. Haha.
audiowhore

White Trash Hero

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 03:39:03 AM »
I am reading "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk for the moment. Think it's the fifth or sixth time I'm reading through it, but this time it's for schoolwork. Must write a book report on a book from a country where the main language is english.

The book is really great and exciting. It's about a religious sect and how the media works when they get a big subject on their hands. Won't spoil the plot for you, but instead I recommend you to buy it or any other book by the same author. I read most of his books when I was 17 and inside the emergency department for children with mental problems. I was there for four weeks, and I can easily read 100 pages in an hour, so you get the picture...

Always told mom and dad to bring me a new Chuck Palahniuk book book for the day that I had not read, so I could read it. I also read the books from some swedish and norwegian authors, but i don't think that they are translated to english for the moment. One of them is called "Naiv. Super" and it was one of my ex-girlfriends who recommended me to read it, because she knew that I could identify myself with the main character in the book. Fun thing was that it basically was a book about my ordinary lifestyle, so I can really understand why she recommended it.

For the moment, I'm also reading "Lunar Park" by Bret Easton Ellis, and I think it's one of his worst books. My expectations for the book was very high after reading through "Glamorama", but for the moment it has dissapointed me. But then I have only read the first third of the book. I'm also reading that new biography about Stalin that came out a couple of years ago. Haven't gotten so much into it, but it's very interesting. Lots of details about his private life and everybody who was a part of it, so I can recommend that one too.

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
Survivor is the only Chuck Palahniuk books I haven't read, which I need to rectify.  Great writer though.  He and Danielewski actually got me to read when I was a teenager.

I've heard rather mixed words about Lunar Park, but that said, I've liked the small portion of Ellis' work I have read (Less Than Zero), and I've been meaning to pick up some more work by him.

White Trash Hero

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:55:13 AM »
Well, you must go on and get "Survivor". I think it's his best work so far, but then I haven't read exactly all of his works, as he's not really that popular here in Sweden.

Sugar_Hiccup

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 08:23:12 AM »
ahjhagh I love this kind of topic.

I just finished reading "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. Pretty good; shame he never got around to fully completing it...even though he wasn't the kind of author who ever "fully completed" anything.  For some odd reason I envisioned it like a movie; I know there's been a few movies based on the book, but I've never seen any. They'd probably ruin it for me, like most book-based movies.

If you get a chance watch the Orson Welles/Anthony Perkins version.

Currently reading Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers. Basically a detective novel set written in the 1920's, one of a series of books featuring Lord Peter Wimsey. I'm doing my usual "Reading a series" thing of starting somewhere in the middle of the series and gradually going back to the start. Blame Essex Libraries.

Once that's out the way, I think some P.G. Wodehouse is in order. There's still 2 stories left in my Jeeves and Wooster omnibus.

mxy

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 01:30:39 PM »

Once that's out the way, I think some P.G. Wodehouse is in order. There's still 2 stories left in my Jeeves and Wooster omnibus.

Top-ho!  There used to be a band round these parts called Jeeves Takes A Thrashing, which has always been my all-time favourite band name.  Unfortunately they weren't very good.