Author Topic: best bootlegs?  (Read 1764 times)

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
best bootlegs?
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »
(that are attainable via the internet)
I've got a few that I listen to regularly (the best for me being Loom and ICA 2008) and have heard heaps but had a computer crash and lost most of them. so I was just wondering what were some good ones? doesn't matter about time, I just want some ones that are actually audible (ie better quality than the Paris one from the Loveless tour). thanks.

ToHereKnowsWho

• Ecstacy
  • Swoonstruck
    • View Profile
Re: best bootlegs?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »
I think the best ones I've heard are Primavera Sound Festival, 29th May 2009 (inside show); you can hear the vocals pretty well and all of Kevin's audience interaction..."J Mascis guitar", etc. I was there and never made that out!

...and Live in Lyon - 21st March 1989 (recorded on the mixing desk); best sound, but all pre Loveless material.

pm me for dropbox
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:34:14 AM by ToHereKnowsWho »

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
thanks man, all downloaded. will listen today.

ToHereKnowsWho

• Ecstacy
  • Swoonstruck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
Most welcome.

Check out Primavera - that was one great performance. The instrumental guitar break in 'You Never Should' is insane!

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
indeed! that passage from THKW onwards is incredible, FMWYK sounds strangely funky, far more melodic than on record.

it's really interesting to hear that Lyon bootleg, especially Lovelee Sweet Darlene.

ToHereKnowsWho

• Ecstacy
  • Swoonstruck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »
Isn't it - especially 'Slow' (my favourite live track) - when they screw up the beginning (and Kevin says 'he doesn't wanna play it! about Colm); you can really hear the guitar sound technique.

Here's a video I shot (on my old cam) of that exact version; watch as the lights come on at 0:34!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_R-LygAYQ?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xk_R-LygAYQ?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Something about the enclosed feeling of the Auditori at Primavera Sound was made for that majestic sound, although mt old cam doesn't do it justice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:43:20 AM by ToHereKnowsWho »

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
that glide...my god.

a seated MBV show would be awesome, I can just imagine you wouldn't be able to move for the sheer power of it.

I'm seeing them in here...

and (of all places) here (presumably, it could be in another community centre sort of thing next door, equipped with a rock climbing wall)...

all I want is to be drowned in lights and sound and not remember a thing afterwards.

Soft As Snow

• Administrator
  • Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.loveisforever.org/
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
thanks ToHereKnowsWho!

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »
If it's not beneath you to listen to Conway-era MBV, then "Things Left Behind" has the best sounding versions of Geek, TNRBMBV and SSS on it. It also has Strawberry Wine on it.