Author Topic: shittiest MBV covers?  (Read 13298 times)

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
shittiest MBV covers?
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »
I know there are some absolute shockers out there, and come to think of it I can't think of a good one, barring Nadja's version of Only Shallow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AKg0iKC8W0
mine: Liturgy's version of No More Sorry. I usually don't mind them, yes the pretension is stifling and they aren't versatile at all but usually I can overlook that because some of their music is surprisingly enjoyable. however, this, from their debut EP, is fucking appalling: they get the guitars right, but they just can't seem to pull of the trick that MBV do where the buzz becomes so thick that it is indescribably beautiful and ethereal, like the Cocteau Twins if they had any balls. and then the sub-Xasthur yelps come in and it just ruins the original, substituting Bilinda's painfully heartfelt lyrics for barking. makes me want to kick a baby. and that is a bad thing. a very bad thing.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: shittiest MBV covers?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:12 AM »
jesus, that was fucking terrible. it doesn't help that they've covered the worse MBV song from the Creation period.

Soft As Snow

• Administrator
  • Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.loveisforever.org/
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
:o :o :o

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »
That piano+vocal cover of When You Sleep. It's good and all, I just dislike the way she sang it.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 12:20:06 AM »
jesus, that was fucking terrible. it doesn't help that they've covered the worse MBV song from the Creation period.
no more sorry? the worst? for me that honour goes to either Don't Ask Why or (When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream. having said that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgd2w0SQEYI) I still love the fuck out of those songs, they just don't do as much for me as the other stuff.
That piano+vocal cover of When You Sleep. It's good and all, I just dislike the way she sang it.
is that the Memoryhouse one? mother of christ that sucked arse. her voice was horrid, it was so whiny. worsened only by the fact that I could see what pretentious wanky little bitches they were. MBV ARE A FUCKING NOISE-ROCK BAND, NOT BALLAD-PLAYING PUSSIES!!!! and they fucked with the melody; no-one fucks with the melody. isn't that whole "voice/single-instrument accompaniment" cover thing beyond a joke now? I find it nauseating.

sort-of side-note-ish: does anyone else think that MBV pretty much spawned atmospheric black metal (as evidenced by No More Sorry, Nothing Much to Lose)? was Kevin listening to much metal around that time? because I can really hear an element of it. I know he listened to Deftones (not that they are BM-ish at all) at some point, so maybe yes, maybe no...

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »
no more sorry? the worst? for me that honour goes to either Don't Ask Why or (When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream. having said that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgd2w0SQEYI) I still love the fuck out of those songs, they just don't do as much for me as the other stuff.

I don't like the vocals that much for Don't Ask Why, but I like the music just finds and it builds nicely. I like When You Wake as well, but it does translate much better live. No More Sorry just sounds like random trashing around and like even the band themselves aren't really sure what the hell they're doing.

connect_icut

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Bubblegum Cage III
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Don't Ask Why or (When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream.

Both of which would be in my top 10 (or even five) MBV songs. Each to his own.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
Memoryhouse cover is good

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 04:32:42 AM »

I don't like the vocals that much for Don't Ask Why, but I like the music just finds and it builds nicely. I like When You Wake as well, but it does translate much better live. No More Sorry just sounds like random trashing around and like even the band themselves aren't really sure what the hell they're doing.
I don't know why I never loved Don't Ask Why, I guess it was just a bit college-y for me, you know? a bit sappy. still a great song though, when that guitar comes in at the end...I get the impression that When You Wake is like FMWYK, it takes on an entirely new life when played live. with No More Sorry, I think it's very much the context of the song (Bilinda's domestic abuse), and the music emulates that sense of assault. I do see how it could be interpreted as bashing though, and at some points I do think that they are a bit lost. that's one of the reasons why I would have loved to have heard a more thorough, fleshed-out version of IA, although I do love it for what it is: a revolutionary rock album that, whilst acting as a precursor to the finest album ever made, is perfect in its own right.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
There isn't another MBV song like No More Sorry. It's pretty spooky.

ToHereKnowsWho

• Ecstacy
  • Swoonstruck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:05:23 AM »
'No More Sorry' - majestic, fractured beauty sonically and lyrically. Can't connect with any negativity towards it.

'Don't Ask Why' - a  clever use of sequenced guitar with a wonderful melody and a classic crescendo. A special b side.

'When You Wake..' - more on the simplistic side of IA; remember it's what McGee wanted as the follow up singe to YMMR...live it's a different matter however - A-MAZING.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 03:16:26 AM »
'No More Sorry' - majestic, fractured beauty sonically and lyrically. Can't connect with any negativity towards it.

'Don't Ask Why' - a  clever use of sequenced guitar with a wonderful melody and a classic crescendo. A special b side.

'When You Wake..' - more on the simplistic side of IA; remember it's what McGee wanted as the follow up singe to YMMR...live it's a different matter however - A-MAZING.
perfect description of No More Sorry.

I was listening to their Peel Session today and I much prefer that version of When You Wake...the sound is gorgeous, and with Bilinda's vocal it is just makes everything sound like it is melting despite the apparent intensity. a bit off topic, but when were the Peel Sessions recorded, seeing as When You Wake is referred to as Colm's Song...? also, with Kevin Song, Bilinda Song and Colm's Song, is there a Debbie Song? yes, I'm really fucking bored.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »

No More Sorry - spastic trumpet guitar.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 03:30:08 AM »

No More Sorry - spastic trumpet guitar.
equally perfect.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Fractured is a good way to describe No More Sorry. It's pretty rhythmically fractured as well. I can't figure out the timing of it at all.