Author Topic: Beautiful Noise  (Read 20475 times)

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: Beautiful Noise
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
sorry, I always make these audacious statement and I have to talk my arse off in order to justify it. when it all boils down to it though, categorisation and philosophising is meaningless, as if the music doesn't affect you in any way then it is wholly redundant.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 04:00:25 AM »
that being that Reznor sees himself as being a figurehead for industrial and an upholder of its ideologies,

I've never been under this impression whatsoever... If anything, it's the exact opposite and the debate on "how Industrial NIN is" is a one-sided debate where the True Industrial Fans use NIN as some kind of whipping boy and/or strawman. You could argue that NIN is mislabeled, but that's not really Trent's fault.

also, there's no way in hell Skinny Puppy was the worst Industrial band.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
yeah, that was another ridiculous claim re Skinny Puppy, really don't know where that came from. I used to really like them when I was like 13, 14, but now they just sound really cheesy to me.

as for Reznor, that idea that he is something of a modern leader for industrial music is purely from a commercial, mainstream, Pitchfork/journalist hyperbole perspective. I really don't think I would resent NIN or Trent if they weren't pigeonholed as such, but it wouldn't change the  fact that I don't enjoy his/their music. I do however respect the way he has been able to popularize the genre (industrial and even dark ambient to a degree), albeit a version that is no longer aligned with its original purpose.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
yeah, that was another ridiculous claim re Skinny Puppy, really don't know where that came from. I used to really like them when I was like 13, 14, but now they just sound really cheesy to me.

me too! Though I still have a bit of a soft spot for their work, some of it just doesn't do anything for me anymore. It's weird seeing other people in their 30s still listen to what I perceive of as music for teenagers.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
it just seems a bit over the top now, the whole horror theme that is all over their work just seems ridiculous, that being the very thing that endeared me to them in the first place. plus, that whole appeal thing they do with the environment and animal rights and all that just seems a bit tacky to me, not that I in any way condone the abuse of animals or anything like that.

sort of on the topic of modern industrial though (and therefore off topic here), that new Raime album Quarter Turns Over A Living Line on Blackest Ever Black is some of the more interesting industrial music I've heard recently. draws really heavily from the more subhuman forms of music that have emerged over the last 30 years, with all the tracks having a really sludgy dub quality accompanied by a drone worthy of Sunn 0))) or Oren Ambarchi, all the while having an overall air reminiscent of Burial. so yeah, not really entirely original, but it is very unique in its construction. good shtuff.

youmademerealise

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
now it's: 345 backers, $17,358 pledged of $75,000 goal and still 26 more days to go. that's not too bad, in my opinion.

WaitingtoHit

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
I just pledged $1,000,000. Beautiful Noise: See it by yourself in an IMAX theater near you!

apecallum

• Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I didn't want to be a blatant dick about it, but what I'm saying is that Trent Reznor is about as musically significant as Lady Gaga's turd. I fail to see the distinction between NIN's industrial-lite and the much-maligned nu-metal of Limp Bizkit. he has destroyed the reputation of the industrial genre in that it was originally a statement about the nature of mankind, whilst his music is firmly about himself, thereby lending itself to his incredible self-obsession. plus, his dark ambient work sucks arse, there is nothing even remotely interesting about it, it is just blank atmospheric wank.

sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but Trent Reznor has fucked over the industrial genre and its inextricably accompanying ethos (it is as much about values and principles as it is the music itself, which is why it is so varied) on countless occasions, and sees himself to be the antithesis of a commercially viable musician and a representative of supposedly independent values when in reality he is the quintessential example of an 'alt sell-out'. ordinarily I don't give a shit about selling out, I overlooked Sonic Youth's really bad run in recent times (Gossip Girl, Starbucks, fucking Gilmore Girls) because they actually did and continue to do things to foster the growth of an independent culture, but when Trent Reznor bemoans the state of the music industry and the dearth of 'true artists' out there I take offence as he is very much a cog in the world to which he is so vehemently opposed. he always has been and always will be. Reznor has never done anything for anyone outside of said world. and fundamentally his music is about as interesting as the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers, so all in all guess I just hate him and his music.

yeah, sorry, had to vent.

Yuck.

Go read a Hemingway novel or something. Ever heard of brevity? Economy of words? Christ, you write like Russell Brand speaks.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
Doesn't look like they're gonna make it ...

As long as (days elapsed)/30 is less than (money raised)/75000 I'll be pretty optimistic that they make it.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »
Yuck.

Go read a Hemingway novel or something. Ever heard of brevity? Economy of words? Christ, you write like Russell Brand speaks.
thanks for your contribution dooooooood.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 02:26:39 AM »
So how about that documentary, huh guys?

bluecat

• Glider
    • View Profile
    • last.fm
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
Yuck.

this is a INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD, not some goddamn BOOK CLUB, you stuck up little bitch.
who the hell is Russell Brand anyway?

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
:(

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
Beautiful noise  ;D

connect_icut

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Bubblegum Cage III
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
Why are people being so mean all of a sudden? C'mon guys!