Author Topic: Beautiful Noise  (Read 20474 times)

Soft As Snow

• Administrator
  • Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.loveisforever.org/
Re: Beautiful Noise
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
yeah i was curious as to why it's only for a month.

i wonder if any of the video footage i gave to him was used in the film, sounds like it may have from the description  :o

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
Hey, no worries! They have a whole month to raise $70, 500 for a movie about a genre that most people don't even know exists.

Lmdo -

I was looking at the rewards - you get a DVD for pledging $25

For $1000 dollars you get a blu ray

Yikes - I really do wanna watch it though

Soft As Snow

• Administrator
  • Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
you can get the blu-ray for $50 from what i saw. which is pretty steep. they should have more levels to pledge

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Ah - basically I'm saying they aren't offering much in the way of a pledge reward.

Still I would pledge ....

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
addfgfklds I didn't realise I was just watching a trailer  :-\

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
They should just leak it and then some one will pick it up - $75 g'z for what? To give to a record company?

Soft As Snow

• Administrator
  • Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
Ah - basically I'm saying they aren't offering much in the way of a pledge reward.

Still I would pledge ....

i agree

also why are robert smith, reznor etc in the movie? i don't get it really

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
If they have a strong opinion on these bands, why not?

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
I can understand Robert Smith being on there, as the Cure's really thick, atmospheric sound would be an undeniable influence on shoegaze, but I have no clue why Trent Reznor is on it, he is a useless musician and unfathomably arrogant.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
I can understand Robert Smith being on there, as the Cure's really thick, atmospheric sound would be an undeniable influence on shoegaze, but I have no clue why Trent Reznor is on it, he is a useless musician and unfathomably arrogant.

:P

Trent's fairly open about having some love for at least MBV. It's not quite as overt as some other musicians, but you can hear it in a few tracks of his at least.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
I didn't want to be a blatant dick about it, but what I'm saying is that Trent Reznor is about as musically significant as Lady Gaga's turd. I fail to see the distinction between NIN's industrial-lite and the much-maligned nu-metal of Limp Bizkit. he has destroyed the reputation of the industrial genre in that it was originally a statement about the nature of mankind, whilst his music is firmly about himself, thereby lending itself to his incredible self-obsession. plus, his dark ambient work sucks arse, there is nothing even remotely interesting about it, it is just blank atmospheric wank.

sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but Trent Reznor has fucked over the industrial genre and its inextricably accompanying ethos (it is as much about values and principles as it is the music itself, which is why it is so varied) on countless occasions, and sees himself to be the antithesis of a commercially viable musician and a representative of supposedly independent values when in reality he is the quintessential example of an 'alt sell-out'. ordinarily I don't give a shit about selling out, I overlooked Sonic Youth's really bad run in recent times (Gossip Girl, Starbucks, fucking Gilmore Girls) because they actually did and continue to do things to foster the growth of an independent culture, but when Trent Reznor bemoans the state of the music industry and the dearth of 'true artists' out there I take offence as he is very much a cog in the world to which he is so vehemently opposed. he always has been and always will be. Reznor has never done anything for anyone outside of said world. and fundamentally his music is about as interesting as the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers, so all in all guess I just hate him and his music.

yeah, sorry, had to vent.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
he has destroyed the reputation of the industrial genre in that it was originally a statement about the nature of mankind

eh, I can respectfully disagree with the rest of your post, but I take umbrage over the idea that it was Trent who ruined Industrial. Industrial was on its way to Rave Music For Goths without Trent anyway.

though I've always thought even if Trent was obviously influenced by Industrial, he wasn't necessarily a part of the genre.

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
Uh, wow   :|

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

eh, I can respectfully disagree with the rest of your post, but I take umbrage over the idea that it was Trent who ruined Industrial. Industrial was on its way to Rave Music For Goths without Trent anyway.

though I've always thought even if Trent was obviously influenced by Industrial, he wasn't necessarily a part of the genre.
apologies (again), I think my initial point got obscured amidst the ranting, that being that Reznor sees himself as being a figurehead for industrial and an upholder of its ideologies, when he hardly has a tie to the genre musically nor in terms of values beyond his scant collaborations with and admiration of Coil/Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV/Chris & Cosey. I mean, industrial has its roots in artists like Boyd Rice, Z'EV, SPK, Monte Cacazza, Einsturzende Neubauten and more loosely Maurizio Bianchi, J.G. Thirwell, Atrax Morgue, with power electronics (Whitehouse, Sutcliffe Legend, Genocide Organ) heavily indebted also, thereby including noise music and Japanoise, genres whose derivative artists are innumerable.

The fundamental point here is that Reznor possesses not a single iota of kinship or even remote musical similarity with these artists, yet for some bizarre reason he has come to be seen as the genre's modern leader and greatest proponent. Consequently, the general perception of industrial is no longer that it is a strain of music whose notability lies in abrasion and its ability to disconcert, but rather as electronic rock music that is essentially nu-metal with synths and a self-pitying, almost emo sensibility quality to it lyrically.

I know you could say that this is because Reznor has 'expanded' upon the blueprint set in the beginning by his forebears, but there is no musical nor ethical thread between them. I wouldn't detest Reznor so much if he were classified as a gothic rock music, or a metal take on Skinny Puppy, the worst industrial band ever. Again, I don't think you could call it industrial rock, as it doesn't have that sludgy, confrontational aspect of early Swans or Godflesh. and of course it isn't post-industrial music, as that was very much a more astrally-influenced offshoot. so considering all that, I don't understand where the ties between industrial music and Nine Inch Nails lie. A band like Factory Floor, who are one of the few remaining bands that could be considered to be conventionally industrial, may be disliked for the way in which they borrow a lot from the earlier wave of industrial artists, but their music is imbued with more modern aspects drawn from acid techno and noise music, with their own interpretational ideas permeating their music, something they share with other current/recent industrial artists (Perc, Forward Strategy Group, Demdike Stare, Pan Sonic, Prurient, Kevin Drumm at times), and as such I'm actually quite a big fan. These groups/artists have expanded upon industrial not necessarily by incorporating it into their own style, but instead using other elements which they mould so as to conform to the ideas presented by industrial music. Reznor doesn't even rehash industrial nor incorporate its elements into his music, so why the fuck does he hold the position he does?

Of course, the demise of industrial was inevitable. The fact that it was a genre so theatrical meant it was susceptible to becoming a pastiche of sorts, which it did when the apathetic second wave through: it was previously a showing of opposition against the conventions of society, and as is the curse of mankind we all perceive opposing normality to be the height of individuality, and the values of it became obscured by the fact that the new guard were interested in portraying themselves to be in resistance of society without having any reason as to why they had adopted that stance. The best proof of this is that by the close of the 80s, the genre's progenitors had moved away from industrial entirely (Cabaret Voltaire were essentially new wave, synthpop and house by then, whilst TG had splintered into countless differing projects each with a distinct direction).

Pasta of Muppets

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
I.. just like the music I guess?