Author Topic: Beautiful Noise  (Read 20479 times)

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
Re: Beautiful Noise
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »

Remember, it's not a film about mbv, or any band in particular. It's about that "scene", that era. It's just as pleasant reflection on what happened, a few more/new comments, clips, brought together in one place. For that I like it.

Exactly.  This film largely functions as a means of presenting and contextualizing this music for people who aren't already intimately familiar with it, with the presence of Smith, Corgan and Reznor acting as a recognizable source of credibility.  It's honestly the kind of documentary I would have loved when I was 16, as at the time there was virtually nothing giving this music any sort of context (I think the best I had was a retrospective in a 2002 issue of Magnet Magazine).

A few stray thoughts:
-I feel like more could have been said about the cultural context this music both sprang from and was eclipsed by.  Compared to both New Pop and independent music at the time, Psychocandy was pretty fucking revolutionary.  And while I understand why the rise of Britpop wasn't really addressed, to simply label it as retrogressive rubbish and leave it at that doesn't really explain why the public collectively moved on.

-You can really tell how far the technical chops of the crew had developed when comparing some of the interviews.  The lighting, sound and image quality are great on some, but Toni Halliday's interview footage looked like it was shot at a police station at 1:30am.

-The "resurgence" segment of the film is horribly dated.  Are Autolux and Serena-Maneesh even together anymore?

-----

That said, deeply enjoyable film.  I have a feeling I'll be loaning this one out to several of my friends who are into this stuff.

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
^^ Sums it up just about right. Just watch and enjoy it as a celebration of something you like. Allow ego to be massaged, it's a nice feeling. Don't take it too deep.

Now, where are those KS rushes?!

P.S. Has anyone who donated got their physical copy yet? I haven't.

loveably tiny demon

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Beautiful Noise
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
^nope - although he emailed me and said he's updating my postage for free which is very nice of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »

P.S. Has anyone who donated got their physical copy yet? I haven't.

Mine came yesterday.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
i forget did any of these copies come with the soundtrack? how was Brad Laner's soundtrack otherwise?

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »
This sucks (a little bit!). No email, no delivery yet. But I'm not in the US. Ok. I'll be patient some more!

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
"All reward copies have been mailed out! Some of you have already received yours and some are in transit. We will be sending out updates for each reward level at the end of this week. Please message us with any questions. Thanks for backing this project! Happy Holidays!"

From Kickstarter website. Fingers crossed!

Swallow my Honey Power

• Loomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this. While ordering a blu ray disc from their website, I couldn't help but notice this:

"First Edition DVD's and Blu-ray's now available for sale, and more to come in January!"

More to come? What more might there be?

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2014, 04:30:40 AM »
Still haven't got mine. Appreciate Christmas post may cause a delay. But I've emailed them to see if they think I should have received it. Their communication has been appalling throughout all of this. Not sure I'd ever get involved in a Kickstarter project again.

Lotus

• Glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
For the record, I emailed the producers via their website and they replied within a day telling me my copy had been sent out and that customs would hold things up too. So they did go to the bother of checking my details I think and replying personally.

It arrived yesterday. Forgot it (my copy) is on Bluray. Don't easily have a means of watching that yet! Ha ha.

Anyway, I'm softening my previous hard line on Kickstarter and the producers of the film. Although I do think they weren't the best at communications and could have been a lot more informative along the way, especially in this last 12 months, and to people like me (and some of you) who put up a chunk of cash years ago to get this made and were made to wait behind non-backers.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
I got a copy for my birthday! Will watch tomorrow.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Brad Laner's score was upped to bandcamp:

http://bradlaner.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-beautiful-noise