Author Topic: The Last Film You Saw Thread  (Read 247689 times)

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Film You Saw Thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 15, 2014, 05:20:13 AM »
watched the Creation doc. Aside from what we've talked about, I was surprised Swervedriver got more attention than Slowdive did. I assume that has to do with Alan McGee personally seeking them out, though no mention of them being dropped before Ejection Seat Reservation was released!

also watched You're Gonna Miss Me, which is a documentary about Roky Erickson. Man, his mother is only slightly less crazy than he was.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 24, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »
stuff:

American Hustle - Good, but not really as good as I thought it was going to be. While it was funny in spots (mostly revolving around Jennifer Lawrence's character),  I was under the impression that it was going to be closer to a comedy than it was. It also just kind of ended.

The Purge - I don't get it. It has some kind of weird following because it has "a good premise" (the government legalising murder for a 12 hour period once a year)... except that's kind of a dumb premise and about as deep as "what would happen if we surgically stitched 3 people together ass to mouth?"Also the benefits outlined by the purge seem really unlikely. For what it is, it's not bad, but it gets a little over the top midway through. If it's a commentary on society, it feels really out of touch with reality.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire I don't know, it was pitch black the entire time. I'll be glad when the fascination with Young Adult books/movies stops; I'll take completely divorced from reality comic book movies over heavy-handed commentary aimed at tweens who think they are the first to figure out that the world is often a cruel and unfair place. Kind of like The Purge, albeit not as shoddily written, I don't really buy the idea of cartoon villainy being allowed to permeate and be sort of accepted as the norm, at least to the extent depicted.

Kill Your Darlings I think I've seen 4 or 5 different tellings of the Beat-era writers within the last 2 or 3 years. Thankfully, they generally focus on different aspects, but I'm not really sure I'd be all that interested in the movies if I wasn't already interested in the writers. Also the use of TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me" was really odd when most of the other music was pretty period-specific.

Martin

• Touched
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »
Just watched Primer was waaaay better than I thought it was gonna be.

Martin

• Touched
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 04, 2014, 06:27:19 AM »
Upstream Color is a whole other story. Pretty sure that pissed a lot of people off.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:01 AM »
the first two mummy films are so indescribably brilliant that I cried when I saw it was going to be on tv...and then the recording conked out just as they're leaving the temple. tears were most definitely shed.

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #1355 on: May 11, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
the first two mummy films are so indescribably brilliant that I cried when I saw it was going to be on tv...and then the recording conked out just as they're leaving the temple. tears were most definitely shed.

Agreed.  I actually saw the first Mummy film three times in theaters

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 12, 2014, 03:27:55 AM »
Hannibal (the movie)

it was never a good movie, but it's aged even worse. Mads Mikkelsen Hannibal is best Hannibal.

12 Years a Slave

Good, very brutal lynching/flogging scenes. Unless it was explained in more detail in the book, I was wondering why his kidnappers went through some really overcomplicated length just to steal him away.

mister_tibbs

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 13, 2014, 12:36:18 AM »
mads mikkelsen hannibal is astounding.

do we even have a TV thread on this old gurl?

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 24, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
Sunshine

I had heard some bad things about the ending, but I thought it was fine., if not fully explained. They made it sound like there was some kind of alien intervention or something.

Monuments Men

briefly amusing if you imagine it to be a prequel to the Flying Hellfish episode of the Simpsons, but otherwise dull.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Ping Pong Summer

the best 80s throwback movie ever with the greatest montage theme song (which I have since learned is a real song). Recommended.

Ender's Game

never read the book, so I can't really compare, but I spent most of the time wondering why they would send in a fleet of kids to do the job. Not bad, but seems like it had a few chunks of plot missing.

RIPD

I thought the Men in Black comparisons might be overstated, but jeez, it really was a poorman's Men in Black... mostly crap.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:07:49 PM by Agent of Kevin S.H.I.E.L.D.S. »

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 12, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
The Counselor: It was okay. Probably would've made a more interesting book. The scene with Cameron Diaz and the ferrari was funny though.

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 03, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Burt Macklin, space ranger. Very good and much more humorous than most of the comic book films. They crammed the sequel/spinoff setups a bit too much towards the end, but otherwise very good. Who would've thought Chris Pratt would be the star of 2 of the biggest movies this year?

Feed The Collapse

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Horns

Based on the book by Stephen King's son. Parts of it seemed slightly skimmed over, but mostly stuff that works a bit better in book form. Otherwise good.