Author Topic: The Last Film You Saw Thread  (Read 247836 times)

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
The Last Film You Saw Thread
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »
It occurred to me that this is one thread that hadn't been resurrected yet, and I thought it needed to be rectified.

So I went to see A Scanner Darkly today (the Philip K. Dick adaptation by Richard Linklater with Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder), and I have to say I was very impressed.  Aside from the whole rotoscoping aspect everyone already knows about, it was a good movie with strong performances (including a great performance from Robert Downey, Jr.).  

Unfortunately I have yet to read that particular Dick novel, so I'm afraid I cannot compare on how faithful the adaptation is.  However, it was worth the $6.50 admission.

4/5

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 04:32:54 AM »
I'm definitely going to see this in the next few days, it's got all the right ingredients hasn't it, though, if only Hugo Weaving was in it :D . I'm not too sure about the rotoscoping really, I saw Waking Life a while back and I'm wondering if it will really add anything to this film.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:49:32 AM »
it followed the story really well .. i thought that the movie was a great adaptation ...

god I love Phillip K. Dick.

last movie I saw was

"Chungking Express" by Wong Kar-Wai   .... great movie, I'm a big fan of Wong Kar-Wai.
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »
Quote from: "auteau"
I'm definitely going to see this in the next few days, it's got all the right ingredients hasn't it, though, if only Hugo Weaving was in it :D . I'm not too sure about the rotoscoping really, I saw Waking Life a while back and I'm wondering if it will really add anything to this film.

Actually, several aspects of the film wouldn't be quite as effective had the rotoscoping not been done, so there's a purpose for it to be there besides novelty.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »
the last film I watched was Game Of Death, with bruce lee. It's simultaneously the worst and funniest kung-fu film I've ever seen - Lee died a matter of weeks into filming it, but they made the film anyway, using a very unconvincing body double and some stock footage of Lee looking anguished. it is awful.

There's a bit where they actually superimposed a still picture of Lee on the actor's head for about a whole minute. I have never laughed so much in my life...
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
good ol' "game of death".
audiowhore

DarkSloth

• Ecstacy
  • Died in technicolor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »
The last film i saw in the theatres was Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I know alot of people thought it was too long and had no story... but honestly, i loved it to death. Loved the first one, so plenty of bias there.

On tv, i've been watching a lot of bad action movies. My new roomate loves watching Encore Action... so i get these karate ninja like movies blasing to the side of me all the time. I never know the names of them though.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:04:23 AM »
i really want to see pirates of the caribbean 2 - i was afraid to go to the cinema in bulgaria in case it was dubbed or something. I might go see it tonight.

I have an alarming urge to have a Scwarzenegger marathon today...
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

DarkSloth

• Ecstacy
  • Died in technicolor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »
I haven't seen this film yet... but i finally did see some more of the GARBAGE DAY video... i might have to buy this thing. It just looks incredible

*warning, has a little F word in there. But its not bad. Apart from the crazy killing and a car blowing up for no reason. But those are the things that make it worthwhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0TyWqSFXk

White Trash Hero

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:28:14 AM »
Quote from: "chrisjedijane"
i really want to see pirates of the caribbean 2 - i was afraid to go to the cinema in bulgaria in case it was dubbed or something. I might go see it tonight.
It isn't as good as the first one, but very entertaining. Went to see it in the US with my friend whom I was staying with.

Last movie I saw was "Sin City". It was good, but isn't it based on a comic book. In that case, I must get hold of the comic book before I can see how good the movie was (although it's pretty gory).

I am free of school tomorrow, so I will have a "Guinea Pig Film" marathon. Those movies are probably as gory as you can get. One is basically 30 minutes of cutting of limbs of a woman.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 01:31:30 AM »
SNAKES> ON >A>PLANE!

i doubt that i've been more entertained by a film ever.

White Trash Hero

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 01:33:20 AM »
Oh, I am really looking forward to that. It had premiere in the US just a couple of days before I left. Hope it will show up here in Sweden pretty soon.

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »
Snakes On A Plane was glorious.

It's also a good example of why you don't ever disable and remove smoke alarms.  :shock:

DarkSloth

• Ecstacy
  • Died in technicolor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
Snakes on a plane has very much convinced me that having snakes... on a plane, is just asking for trouble.

SlowKiss

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Film You Saw Thread
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »
sometime last month, Superman Returns, with my sister...very average, some cheesy scenes.