Author Topic: The Gear thread.  (Read 231065 times)

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:24:57 PM »
Since the Kevin gear thread is going off topic, thanks to your's truely, I've decided to just create a thread to discuss gear. A few of us are musicians and play guitar/keys whatever so...I thought this is a good idea. I'm not too keen on what gear is good or not. Especially for noise/shoegaze-esque stuff...so..discuss your gear here!

My "Rig" so-to-speak:

Mac G4 iBook (hope this changes within the next year)
MBox + Pro Tools
Shure SM58 Unidirectional dynamic mic.
2001 Epiphone Studio Les Paul (Yuck!)
Big Muff Fuz Pedal (The Russian Made one, black)
Crybaby Wah.
DigiTech RP200A Modeling Guitar Processor (err..)
Tech 21 Trademark 30 30W Guitar Combo/DI Amplifer

Stuff I hope to get in the near future (when I have the funds);

Electro-Harmonix Memoryman deluxe memory pedal
Audio-Technica AT4033CL Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic (sounded really good on my guitar when I used it)
Fender strat
Another Amp (not too sure of the brand/model. I'm not sure what I'm looking for).

Yeah, I know, most of you guys could eat me alive with the stuff you guys have, but I hope to get more in the near future...

Anyway, discuss...

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
The Gear thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:45:11 PM »
My rigs.

Guitar related:
2003 Fender MIM Telecaster (black)
2001 Epiphone SG Special (black) (hasn't worked in over three years due to shit wiring, but it makes a nice wall decoration)
Crate GFX-212T + MX-15R (both of which I'm trying to find a local buyer for)
MXR Blue Box ( <3 )
Danelectro Fish N Chips EQ
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Computer related:
Dell Dimension 8300 (2003)
Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4.0
Sonic Foundry Sound Forge 6.0

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 04:25:47 AM »
My sound card broke recently so I haven't been using any of this much any more.

Computer stuff:
G4 dual533 + DigiPerf 4.5 (for recording)
Umax c600 + Peak 3 (for mastering)
Eurorack mx802a
M-Audio Radium 49
Ableton Live 5 (love the 'grain delay' on this - turning Kate Bush into a man!)
Jack Audio Router
Casio SK-200 (ancient sampling keyboard from '87 - I've had so much fun with this, the EKG and two tape recorders, most of my music was born out of this)

Band stuff:
SM58
Tiger TG-17 20W Amp (for that lo-fi La's sound)
EKG Guitar (very easy to play, weighs a ton though)
Washburn Acoustic guitar (bloody difficult to play)
Electro Harmonix Clone Theory (hardly ever use it)
Vox Phazer
Various Boss & Arion pedals (mostly unused except for an Arion Phaser)
Open Tambourine
Yamaha SU-10 Sampler (it's currently our lead guitarist)

At the end of the day all the experimentation done with the SK and G4 just helped shape the songs for the band I think.

mxy

The Gear thread.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »
Okay, my massive set-up is:

Epiphone Les Paul copy
Epiphone Riviera semi-acoustic (nearly as big as me but I love it)
Squier Strat (with only four randomly de-tuned strings for making weird noise on)
Peavey Bandit 112 guitar amp
Boss pitch-shifer/delay pedal
An old Hohner bass that refuses to stay in tune, which is what I like about it.  I got it for 10.
And a massive Laney bass amp that's currently residing in a friend's garage.  I've got to take it back soon 'cos he needs his garage space back, but I've nowhere to put it.

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:13:46 AM »
Dead_red_eyes, you have some awesome gear.

Here's my current wee collection:

Electrics
Gibson Sg Special (main gigging guitar)
Fender USA Jazzmaster (second gigging guitar)
1972 Fender Telecaster (vintage)
Epiphone '56 Reissue Les Paul Gold Top (not bad, nice P90's though)
Epiphone Les Paul 100 (first guitar!)
Squier Strat HH (backup before I got the Jazz)
Squier Jagmaster (currently minus headstock, awaiting major mods)

Bass
Squier Jazz Bass

Acoustics
Avalon Legacy Series Jumbo
McIlroy Jumbo

Amps
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
1974 Fender Champ
90's Carlsbro GLX30
70's Carlsbro Cobra Lead
80's Award-Session Sessionette

Effects/Pedals
Boss DS-1 distortion
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde Overdrive
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Boss DD-3 digital Delay
ART multiverb Rack Reverb Unit
Line 6 Guitarport Software

I just got the Jazzmaster this week, and I am loving it!
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:04:24 AM »
Thanks chrisjedijane. I've worked my ass off for all of this stuff over the many years. One thing that I can say is when you get this much crap, make sure you have insurance for it.

I freaking love my Jazzmaster! Sooooooooo good!

auteau, are you going to be looking for a new sound card sometime in the near future? and how is that Electro Harmonix Clone Theory of yours?
audiowhore

auteau

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 01:34:56 AM »
Well, I do check prices for a Delta 44 now and again but, on my budget it's not a priority right now. The Clone Theory's still going strong thanks for asking........Mr. Anderson (we've just had 'the Matrix' trilogy on tv - ah what a great character that Agent Smith is).

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 04:44:57 AM »
I only just worked out that agent smith was in lord of the rings. I'm that slow.

I love my jazzmaster too, the USA ones in particular are great, the japanese ones not so much (they sound ok but without the neck shim they have crazy bridge troubles).

One thing I would say about my USA jazz is when I got it, the scratchplate was cracked and the plastic cover had bonded to the plate, meaning it wouldn't come off. I went back to the shop though and they're ordering me a new one which should be in today.

They have a sweet '64 Jaguar in that shop in fiesta red, all bashed up, but it's like 3000. One can only dream... They also had a '65 jazzmaster (in fiesta red again) with gold hardware, it was awesome!!!
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:14 PM »
Quote from: "chrisjedijane"
They have a sweet '64 Jaguar in that shop in fiesta red, all bashed up, but it's like 3000. One can only dream... They also had a '65 jazzmaster (in fiesta red again) with gold hardware, it was awesome!!!

Ooooo nice! I'd stay clear of "bashed up" Jaguars, getting the electrical work redone on this is expensive. Those are some seriously finnicky guitars. But I like them, not as much as the Jazzmaster tho! The older Japanese copies are *okay*, but not great for sure. I hooked up with one some years back, and had bought a new neck for it. It worked great, until I scored my USA JM. Then someone stole my Japanese copy right after a show ... 2 weeks after I had bought the USA JM. Bastards!

I've seen a '65 jazzmaster that fits that exact desciption, fucking thing sold for about 4 grand on E-bay cause it was in mint condition.
audiowhore

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »
Quote from: "dead_red_eyes"
Thanks chrisjedijane. I've worked my ass off for all of this stuff over the many years. One thing that I can say is when you get this much crap, make sure you have insurance for it.

I freaking love my Jazzmaster! Sooooooooo good!

auteau, are you going to be looking for a new sound card sometime in the near future? and how is that Electro Harmonix Clone Theory of yours?

I've actually seen people take out loans just to buy messa boogies. What is the difference between a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar? When the trem floats I know it isn't screwed directly onto the bridge, but does that also give it the freedom to move in any direction. You can't do that kinda stuff on a Strat, right? At least thats what I think...?

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »
First, people who buy Mesa Boogies are idiots. I don't mean to sound pretentious and all, but Mesa Boogie is shite compared to BlackAmps, GreenAmps, Matamp, Orange, Hi-Watt, Sound City ... All they're buying is a name, and more than likely they're only buying it cause some band uses one. Those people should do more research before they drop down the cash on those amps and find out what they need...they could get sooo much more for that cash, I gaurantee it.

The floating tremelo rocks the house, and yes it can move freely, which the stratocasters tremelo just can't do. This floating bridge concept was also later used in the Fender Dynamic Vibrato, another design used on the Fender Mustang.

Well there's some differences between the Jazzmaster and Jaguar...the biggest being:

Jaguar:
24-inch scale, 22-fret neck (the first Fender guitar to have 22 frets)
smaller single-coil pickups with notched side plates that improved RF shielding

Jazzmaster:
25-1/2-inch scale neck
soap bar pickups
rythym/lead switch

you should also check out the 2 Wiki pages for both guitars, there's some really good info there, altough there's not a lot of detailed technical info/specs ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jaguar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazzmaster
audiowhore

symbiosis

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
here's my list.....don't kill me....

guitar stuff...
shecter guitar
crate gt120 amp head
crate gt142sl cabinet (with celestion speakers =])
distortion- i use the foot switch on amp head, but i do have a boss metal zone, which is okay if u tweak the settings just right.
boss phaze shifter
original cry baby wah.

bass...
fender jazz bass
backline 300w bass combo amp

drums...
argent 5 piece drums set(hand-me down from friend that out grew it, but im gonna step up to a new one in the next few months)
sabian ride and hi-hat cymbals
hi-hat mountable tambourine
small musical marraca

comp...
shitty built one with 512 mb ram
tascam us-122 audio interface (which isn't all that bad at all, but mbox pwns it)
2 mxl condenser mics.

i don't buy god equipment cos i play everything right now, so im slowing upgrading it all, while trying to save up for a new car at the same time.
...duh

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 11:05:51 AM »
so last night I played my first gig with the Jazzmaster, and it was indeed lovely, although I really need to get some threadlock for the saddles (I had to reset the intonation on the low E when I got home, but I thought I was gonna have to do that).

I gave it a lot of abuse, and was putting it into alternate tunings, but the tuning held up thanks to the almighty trem-lock!

I now honestly think that the jag/jazz trem system is the finest trem fender ever came up with. My old strat goes REALLY out when you so much as put it in drop d, and you can forget about using the trem. The jazz stayed in tune in alternate tunings, and stayed in tune even with trem use!

The trem bar fell out 4/5 times though, but I've since wedged it in nicely, so it's not coming out any time soon :)

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »
symbiosis, no one is going to crucify you for your list of equipment, at least I would hope not.

chrisjedijane, best thing to do about that tremelo arm is duct tape it or use some electrical tape on the arm, I know it sounds screwy, but it works. i was talking about this same thing with thurston moore some years back in seattle after thie little show they had in a park. he said that's the only gripe he has about that tremelo, so he used duct-tape, or electrical tape to keep it in.

nice to hear that your gig went well.
audiowhore

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
The Gear thread.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 12:57:51 PM »
Quote from: "dead_red_eyes"
symbiosis, no one is going to crucify you for your list of equipment, at least I would hope not.

chrisjedijane, best thing to do about that tremelo arm is duct tape it or use some electrical tape on the arm, I know it sounds screwy, but it works. i was talking about this same thing with thurston moore some years back in seattle after thie little show they had in a park. he said that's the only gripe he has about that tremelo, so he used duct-tape, or electrical tape to keep it in.

nice to hear that your gig went well.

Yeah symbiosis, you have more equipment than I do!

I did read those Jazz/Jag Wiki pages and a lot of it seemed to downplay the trem system or some of the other features the Jazz/Jags had. The saddles being one of them. And I know that chrisjedijane had to reset the intonation because of the saddles. The thing is, I don't know how to set the intonation or...er...I just don't have the equipment. Although, I do have a great book. The Guitar Players repair guide, which is quite helpful and thought me how to change strings. So, I'm assuming alot of the problems with the originals weren't taken care of? Or am I blowing this out of proportion?