Author Topic: Kevin Shields Gear/Equipment  (Read 202571 times)

Dingus

Kevin Shields Gear/Equipment
« on: May 02, 2006, 05:31:11 AM »
Before the old forum crashed there was a post on there by someone who used to be their guitar tech.

I remember him saying that he never saw Kevin Shields use a Marshall Shredmaster, but he saw him using Two Marshall Guv'Nor's the Boss PN-2's the Yamaha SPX-90, an Alesis Midiverb 2, and I can't remember what else. Might anyone have this post saved or anything? or is that guitar tech guy still around so I can ask him geeky questions?

SlowKiss

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:40:15 AM »
do you mean this?

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
Quote from: "SlowKiss"
do you mean this?

How I would love to see that erased from the internet.

I have a list of the equipment used somewhere.  I'll post it when I can find it.

EDIT:  Found it!

Quote from: "evoluzione"
Kevin never used a Shreadmaster pedal (he did, however, use 2 Marshall Guv'nor pedals during the Isn't Anyting live shows). (guitargeek.com falsely credits the use of a Shredmaster during the Loveless tours.)

For Loveless live shows he used - Digitec Whammy, Boss EH-2, Boss PQ-4, 2 x Boss GE-7, Boss T-Wah, Pro-Co Turbo Rat, Roger Mayer Axis & Mongoose, Marshall Guv'nor, Jim Dunlop Roto-Vibe, Boss Tremolo/Pan (Boss PN-2 to be specific), Digitec PDS-8000, ADA Pre-amp, MidiVerb2 (made by Alesis for those who don't know), SPX90 x 2 and 3 x JCM800's (only 2 amps were actually running) JCM's valved with EL34's and ECC83's (including phase split). - I may have missed out one or two pedals there....it has been a few years..!!!

The clever part is what he adds to the internal wiring to the guitars and the reasoning behind using certain guitars for certain songs. (This is the only time I have ever heard this mentioned, and unfortunately he never elaborated on it.)

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
I'm not a guitar tech, but I am a musician, who owns guitars, and knows things about them, so fel free to ask me some stuff if you want.....

Honestly, I've heard that rig is not 100% accurate from many trusting sources. Sure he might have used it on one tour [maybe], but they've been known to borrow peoples equipment and rent equipment for tours, and Kevin is known for his schizophrenia about guitar/amp tones.

Kevin liked to use RAT distortion pedals as well, I've read in a couple of different interviews that he liked to use 2 of them.

Why does he need a midi foot controller for the pre-amp, that just doesnt make any sense to me, midi foot controller to the yamaha spx-900 makes a lot of sense tho.

And let it be known that Kevin has "multiple" setups, different guitars/pedal setups for different amps, there's a lot of diversity in the euipment used to record "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless". Don't you guys remember when he borrowed that chicks gear from "Lush" to do some recording?

Anyways,  maybe that picture may be close, but I'm sure that isn't Kevins "usual" setup, just probably one that used on tour...once. But who knows!? Until Kevin actually comes out to say it, or they say the stuff that he used in that book that's supposed to come out, "Loveless".
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »
Quote from: "dead_red_eyes"
And let it be known that Kevin has "multiple" setups, different guitars/pedal setups for different amps, there's a lot of diversity in the euipment used to record "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless". Don't you guys remember when he borrowed that chicks gear from "Lush" to do some recording?

This is true.  With the number of studios the band has been in and the number of experiments with equipment there's no way to compile a list of studio equipment used with the information available.

Anyways,  maybe that picture may be close, but I'm sure that isn't Kevins "usual" setup, just probably one that used on tour...once. But who knows!? Until Kevin actually comes out to say it, or they say the stuff that he used in that book that's supposed to come out, "Loveless".

It isn't even that close to his regular live setup from what I understand.  While they did use a lot of backline gear, that still doesn't account for some of the glaring holes in the rig (namely the Guv'nor pedals used for the tracks from Isn't Anything).

SlowKiss

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:52:55 AM »
I knew that pic could never be everything, knowing how much of a perfectionist kevin is, spending hours with soundchecks and often being incontent with the sound..thanks for that evoluzione post shawn...not that i'll ever attempt to rebuild that rig, but it's still somewhat interesting

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 01:38:26 PM »
yeah, whenever I hear people wanting to have rigs just like someone else I find that very unsettling. what's important is what you think is good for you, outright ripping off someones tones isn't a nice thing to do. i'm sure that we could mention some really shitty bands that have rigs just like their favorite bands, and then there's already bands out there trying to "bank" on someone elses tones.

somones always trying to cop someone elses bizness ... bastards.
audiowhore

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:39:02 PM »
I'm not a guitar tech, but I am a musician, who owns guitars, and knows things about them, so fel free to ask me some stuff if you want.....

Honestly, I've heard that rig is not 100% accurate from many trusting sources. Sure he might have used it on one tour [maybe], but they've been known to borrow peoples equipment and rent equipment for tours, and Kevin is known for his schizophrenia about guitar/amp tones.

Kevin liked to use RAT distortion pedals as well, I've read in a couple of different interviews that he liked to use 2 of them.

Why does he need a midi foot controller for the pre-amp, that just doesnt make any sense to me, midi foot controller to the yamaha spx-900 makes a lot of sense tho.

A little off topic, but I like the yahama SPX models. I've used the 90 and I really like it. The sounds were pretty good and it was easy to use. It had tap delay, too, I believe?

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:55:46 PM »
yeah, whenever I hear people wanting to have rigs just like someone else I find that very unsettling. what's important is what you think is good for you, outright ripping off someones tones isn't a nice thing to do. i'm sure that we could mention some really shitty bands that have rigs just like their favorite bands, and then there's already bands out there trying to "bank" on someone elses tones.

somones always trying to cop someone elses bizness ... bastards.

The number of people imitating Kurt Cobain's setup (Fender guitar -> Boss DS-1 Distortion -> EHX Small Clone -> Mesa Boogie amplifiers) perfectly prove your point.

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
Quote from: "Speed
A little off topic, but I like the yahama SPX models. I've used the 90 and I really like it. The sounds were pretty good and it was easy to use. It had tap delay, too, I believe?

yes it has tap delay, if you have yourself a nice footpedal/controller of course! :)

it is a very nice pedal, and I'm pretty sure that he used that. ever play around with the Alesis MidiVerb, not quite as good in my opinion...but it does the job for vocals. I heard some rumour that Kevin used one once ...
audiowhore

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 02:22:13 PM »
Kurt used different guitars for recording and different guitars for playing live. Tons of people do this ...

I must say that the Mosrite copy [Univox Hi-Flyer] guitar he used on Bleach, really does the job...that's a badass guitar...you can also see that type of guitar in the video, "Heart-Shaped Box'. In fact , he owned many Univox Hi-Flyer guitars, he'd replace the overwound single coil pickups with humbuckers instead. And he only used Fender Strats [mainly Japanese] live cause he could tear the fuck out of them, otherwise he was usually stumming a Mustang, or sometimes Jaguar...and even rarer cases a Fender Tele!

I know that amplifier wise he was into Fender Bassman ,Vox AC30, Fender Twin Reverb, and the Sunn-Beta Lead. In fact, I think all 4 were used on Nevermind. He only used MesaBoogie Studio Preamps/Heads, and Crest Power-Amps to drive the shitload of Marshall cabs later on in their carrer, and was mainly just for live purposes.

And of course like everyother musician, used a bunch of other crap that we don't know about.

Ahhh, I'm a gear whore, it's always fun to know funny things ...
audiowhore

Hugh Jazz

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
    • Expect Delay
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 02:27:38 PM »
Kurt used different guitars for recording and different guitars for playing live. Tons of people do this ...

I must say that the Mosrite copy [Univox Hi-Flyer] guitar he used on Bleach, really does the job...that's a badass guitar...you can also see that type of guitar in the video, "Heart-Shaped Box'. In fact , he owned many Univox Hi-Flyer guitars, he'd replace the overwound single coil pickups with humbuckers instead. And he only used Fender Strats [mainly Japanese] live cause he could tear the fuck out of them, otherwise he was usually stumming a Mustang, or sometimes Jaguar...and even rarer cases a Fender Tele!

I know that amplifier wise he was into Fender Bassman ,Vox AC30, Fender Twin Reverb, and the Sunn-Beta Lead. In fact, I think all 4 were used on Nevermind. He only used MesaBoogie Studio Preamps/Heads, and Crest Power-Amps to drive the shitload of Marshall cabs later on in their carrer, and was mainly just for live purposes.

And of course like everyother musician, used a bunch of other crap that we don't know about.

Ahhh, I'm a gear whore, it's always fun to know funny things ...

Correct.  I was referring more to how n00bs did a bare bones replication of his live rig (only replace Fender and Mesa-Boogie with Squier and Crate in many cases).

He did use more gear than people give him credit to though.

Speed

• Ecstacy
  • Googe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »
Quote from: "Speed
A little off topic, but I like the yahama SPX models. I've used the 90 and I really like it. The sounds were pretty good and it was easy to use. It had tap delay, too, I believe

yes it has tap delay, if you have yourself a nice footpedal/controller of course! :)

it is a very nice pedal, and I'm pretty sure that he used that. ever play around with the Alesis MidiVerb, not quite as good in my opinion...but it does the job for vocals. I heard some rumour that Kevin used one once ...

Right. I've only used it as a rackmount unit. Never as a pedal. I've used quite a few different effects from it on vox. Really cool piece of equipment.

Even further off topic, Has anyone used the red 3 compressor made by focusrite? It's actually really expensive and I've only seen it in professional studios, but I love that thing. As for pedals.

I just got a Big Muff fuzz and I love it. I have a digitech digital effects processor and it sounds so "compressed" compared to the analoge. I'm thinking of switching to all analog gear. Bying a peice at a time. Oh, and I read that you use orange amps, Scott. The local guitar shop sells them. How do you like them?

Sorry, I just like talking about gear. This gives me an idea for a thread...

d_r_e

• Ecstacy
  • Crush
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 08:09:49 PM »
Theres sooo much gear that people go thru, it's really nuts...

Until Kevin comes forth, or untill that damn Loveless book is printed out, we'll have nothing but secondhand guesses about his actual rigs.

Speed, I'm typing a bunch of good stuff in your new Gear Thread...check it out.
audiowhore

chrisjedijane

• Ecstacy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 03:56:15 AM »
i found that if you use a reverb pedal/rack unit that has a 100% wet option (i.e. the original note doesn't come through) and put a distortion pedal after that in the chain, you can achieve a rough approximation of the MBV guitar sound. It's not perfect, of course, but it's good for mucking around with.
"I want to be ear-raped (in a good way) by You Made Me Realize in a field in Laois"